Outdoor Leader Skills

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2001
      Rick,

      I personally have a hard time signing a training card for a course,
      especially when it required to earn the "Trained" patch, when you are
      not following the BSA prescribed requirements as outlined in the
      syllabus.

      I would strongly recommend that you pick one of the 2 options outlined
      in the book, and tell your professional advisor to verify their
      information with the appropriate person at the National Office.

      I have not seen the memo you mentioned, but there appears to be a
      typographical error in it. If they think the course should only run
      1.5 days, maybe they can tell you what you can cut out of the
      curriculum and still certify that the leaders have received adequate
      training for the youth in their units.

      I would not cut any of the items you mentioned. You can use the
      campfire and cracker-barrel times for training. Cutting out the
      worship service, to me, violates our Duty to God. Plus, I do not think
      you do not want your leaders attending Wood Badge and finding out that
      they got short changed in their training. What will they think of your
      course.

      As for my District, we have decided to offer OLS as a 2 Saturday course
      the first time. I personally think it will be harder to get leaders
      out 2 Saturdays in a row, but we will see how it works. As for the
      Friday-Sunday option, I don't think it will be any harder than getting
      them out for SMF III now. Most Troop campouts run Friday-Sunday, so
      this will be about the same.

      I hope you have a lot of commitment from you trainers. We have decided
      to wait until 2002 for OLS because we just don't have enough room on
      our calendars with half of my Training Committee working at the Jamo,
      and all of the Scouting events in September & October to feel we can
      get all of the supplies together and practice for an Oct. OLS course.
      I would like to hear how yours comes out.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken Todd, Training Chairman
      NE-CS-59 Beaver

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2001
        We taught this course this last spring. I would not cut anything. We
        simply told the council it was a mistake on the memo. Our council does not
        interfere with training as long as you are following the syllabus.
        Everything in the new syllabus is basic and is needed. If you start cutting
        parts out, these will be the same parts the new leaders will cut from their
        program with the kids.
        I have to also say that this syllabus is the most fun for a training
        team. We ran the course from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. This gives
        you a little flexibility with the time schedule. We were able to give more
        time to some subjects like LNT without taking away from other subjects.
        The participants of the course walked away confident with their outdoor
        skills unlike SMF where they leave with a hundred questions still. We also
        created a book of handouts before the course that we gave them when they
        checked in. Everyone said they really liked it because it gave them
        something to reference to later. We had several new Webelos leaders take
        the course and they said it helped them see better what they are preparing
        their kids for.
        We have already scheduled this course 2 more times for the upcoming year
        and we have people begging to be part of the training team for it. The
        participants went away raving about this new course.

        Beth Reiller
        Training Team (wife to the Training Chairman)
        Flint River Council