Philmont Training Center

  • Ronald Tramm
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2001
      Hey L'ers

      I'm going to Philmont the week of Aug 11-18. I'll be taking the
      Re-Engineering Scout Training. Is there anyone on the list that is going to
      the same course as I? If so email me off list so we can get to know each
      other before we get there that week.

      YiS,

      Ron Tramm
      I usta be a beaver C-24-97 ... and a good ole staffer too C-7-00
      Brotherhood member Mikano Lodge #231
      Southwest District BS Training Chair
      Milwaukee County Council
    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        Calvin (and others):

        [sorry for the cross-posting]

        I will also be at PTC next week attending "Scouting in the Church's
        Ministry". I have patches from the local CCOS that I would love to trade.
        I've never been to Philmont before, but I'd looking forward to meeting
        others on the list(s) who plan to be there (and bring your patches!).

        Fred Goodwin
        (former) CC Pack 468, NCAC
        currently trying to form a PCOS in the Alamo Area Council as part of my
        Ticket
        "I used to be an Owl . . ." (SR-552)
        "On my honor, I will do my duty to God . . ."

        > From: "Calvin H. Gray" <405geezer@...>
        >
        > Next week (July 6-12) is Religious Relationships week at the PTC.
        >
        > My wife and I will be attending the "Scouting in the Church's Ministry"
        > Conference. I know that Rik Bergethon plans to attend the "Scouting in
        > the Catholic Church" conference.
        >
        > Are others on the list going to be at the PTC next week?
      • Elaine D. Boyd
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
          Hi,

          I just recieved an invitation to attend Philmont Training Center next summer(!!). I am not sure if I will be attending (cost is the issue - mainly transportation), but in the mean time, I am looking at the courses offered and wonder what would give me the most "bang for the buck." If I do go, this will probably be the one and only time I go.

          I am currently the Cub Scout training chair for my district, so my initial thought was to take Training Cub Scout Leaders. Upon looking at the schedule again, I saw that they offer Training Management Seminar. I don't know what the future holds for me in Scouting, but I could, someday, maybe, end up the district training chair - or not. :-)

          I guess my question is.... as the Cub Scout training chair, would I get just as much out of the Training Management Seminar as I would Training Cub Scout Leaders? This is a wonderful opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

          Thanks in advance for any input!

          Yours in Scouting,

          ~Elaine Boyd
          Scouter in NH who is counting her pennies and looking to buy a lottery ticket or two!

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
            In a message dated 10/31/06 10:00:58 AM, edboyd@... writes:

            > I guess my question is.... as the Cub Scout training chair, would I get
            > just as much out of the Training Management Seminar as I would Training Cub
            > Scout Leaders?

            Hello Elaine,

            I suspect that if you go, you'll be buying more lottery tickets to try to
            go again. :)

            I don't have a listing of the courses here, but I suspect that the
            "Training Cub Scout Leaders" session is run by Cub Scouting Division. It will
            concentrate largely on platform skills, techniques for making training exciting
            and lively, etc. On the other hand, I suspect that the Training Management
            Seminar is run by the group that used to be called Council Services and will
            concentrate on organizing training teams, managing training within a
            district and council, the flow of training and the training continuum, etc.

            Both courses will be excellent. Training Cub Scout Leaders will likely be
            more "fun" and more goofy but will concentrate on things more specific to Cub
            Scouting. Training Management Seminar will be more organizational, and will
            have fun, but it will be more "mature" in the drollery.

            You can't go wrong with either one.

            Best wishes and I hope that you can go and have a great time.

            Neil Lupton

          • ed5870@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
              Never took the Training management course but the Cub Training course was great!!!!!!
              The Cub Scout weeks at Philmont are the most fun as well!!!!