Live or is it Memorex

  • Herbert Dulzo
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13 6:41 AM
      I was curious if other councils/districts are "hanging on" to live training that has been replaced by online training. In our district we still put the troop committee puzle together twice a year.

      We also still do Youth protection in June for summer camp since there are specifice State of Michigan laws that apply to Owasippe. As a metter of faxt we just got a new regulation this month. All adults must have their "home state" do a Child Abuse Network Tracking backround check "CANT" in Illinois.

      Herb Dulzo
      chicago area council
    • Elaine D. Boyd
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13 7:24 AM
        Herb,

        I still do Youth Protection training twice a year. I just got the DVD on
        Monday to run "This is Scouting" training as a live training. I am not sure
        how often we will run this yet as a live training. This might be a good
        thing to take to units, especially those units who are in great need of
        training!

        As for the other online training - I can't remember fast start being offered
        as a live training. Back in 1997 when I first became a leader, I was handed
        a VHS tape to watch.

        I don't think the Boy Scout side of training in my district does anything
        other than Scoutmaster Specifics and Outdoor leader skills.

        Yours in Scouting,

        ~Elaine Boyd
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        Abnaki District ~ Daniel Webster Council, NH

        >I was curious if other councils/districts are "hanging on" to live training
        >that has been replaced by online training. In our district we still put
        >the troop committee puzle together twice a year.
      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13 8:49 AM
          I was curious if other councils/districts are "hanging on" to live training that has been replaced by online training. In our district we still put the troop committee puzle together twice a year.

          We also still do Youth protection in June for summer camp since there are specifice State of Michigan laws that apply to Owasippe.

          +++++++++++++++

          I don't believe these courses have been replaced - they are just available in an additional format for the convenience of the learners.

          Our in person YPT trainings continue to be very well attended, and we offer Troop committee Challenge twice a year.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13 8:54 AM
            I just got the DVD on
            Monday to run "This is Scouting" training as a live training. I am not sure
            how often we will run this yet as a live training. This might be a good
            thing to take to units, especially those units who are in great need of
            training!
            ++++++++++++
            Oooh, ooh - how did you get it? From your council? I've bugged my DE but haven't seen anything yet.

            As for the other online training - I can't remember fast start being offered
            as a live training. Back in 1997 when I first became a leader, I was handed
            a VHS tape to watch.
            ++++++++++
            Fast start is *supposed* to be personal coaching aided by the DVD or online course - a unit leader or pack/troop trainer is supposed to administer the course. The idea is to give the new leader support and assistance. Unfortunately, few units do this.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

            >I was curious if other councils/districts are "hanging on" to live training
            >that has been replaced by online training. In our district we still put
            >the troop committee puzle together twice a year.

          • Judy Yeager
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13 9:15 AM
              I was curious if other councils/districts are "hanging on" to live training that has been replaced by online training. In our district we still put the troop committee puzle together twice a year.

              What I think we are not recognizing in our world of technology is that not all folks have equal access to that technology and still need other options for their scout training. Even in our large, mostly urban council, there are areas where internet access is still pay as you go dial up service which makes online training far from practical. And, even in our urban areas where hi speed access is the norm, there are folks who just prefer the personal touch.

              The biggest challenge for training in our Council right now is how to provide training in those outlying areas for Hazardous Weather Training which is available only on line.

              Judy Yeager

            • Walsh, John (AGO)
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13 10:11 AM
                Call National and they will send you Hazardous weather on a disk so you
                don't need internet access.

                John

                Message 7 of 9 , May 13 10:25 AM
                  I got the DVD from my DE. I was psyched!

                  ~Elaine

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13 6:14 PM
                    Herb: In my District, we have reserved the option of doing "live" training
                    if needed but have not yet done so. The online training is typically well
                    done and reflects the most up-to-date BSA guidance. As other posters have
                    noted, I miss the interchange of ideas and opinions between the trainer and
                    the folks attending the training, but frankly with our busy lives, the
                    online training meets the basic requirements and to date we do not have any
                    "extra" state or local requirements to cover.

                    Mark Ellis

                    Aquia District

                    National Capital Area Council

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13 6:25 PM
                      I haven't seen a copy of the This is Scouting DVD yet so we haven't done that one live
                      but I would expect I will offer it to a Pack or in conjunction with Roundtable if requested
                      once I have the DVD.

                      I only do in person YPT if requested since were told the State of TX requires the online version for
                      Day Camp or Summer Camp. there are some issues with the test and having to retain them for 5 years
                      if done in person while they are saved digitally if done online, from what I was told as well.
                      The Venturing YPT is done as part of the Specific training and we continue that but I have gotten complaints
                      that after taking in in person they were then required to do it online at summer camp and others at a Venturing
                      related activity as well.

                      The Troop Committee Challenge is done by request for Troop Committees as a group.

                      YIS,
                      Kris Swank
                      OT District Training Chair
                      East Texas Area Council
                      Advisor Crew 42...the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything
                      I used to be a Beaver...SR-281 & a good old staffer, too, 5 Times