Baloo attendees who know everything

  • Kelly Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2009
      Pete Mullaney hit the tent peg on the head. Baloo is not about teaching people how to go camping. It is about how to plan and carry out a successful Pack Campout or Outdoor Experience. The important word here is successful.
      The primary goal of Baloo is to get the Pack to experience the outdoors. This means that many of the participants may be first-time campers. Many of the Cubs will be first-time campers. We want them to be successful, which means wanting to do it again.
      Yes, Joe Parent may have been taking his son deer hunting since he was in diapers. They have slept in the wild, dug their own latrine, eaten the fresh liver out of their kill--well, you get the idea. Now, when Joe goes camping with his son and seven of his best friends and enemies (which are interchangeable at age 7 or 9), he will find his son is a "pack animal" who is totally different in the group. One-on one is a very different story from leader and parents and Akela's tribe.
      So what do you do? Focus on the six steps of Planning, then follow up with your Round Robins. Use your experts to help, and don't embarass them when they don't know how to prepare the materials for foil dinners for forty, or how to lead songs at a campfire. Recognize and respect what they know, but keep on the subject: a successful outdoor experience for a large group of mixed experience.

      Yours in Scouting--
      Kelly Parker
      "I used to be a lot of things, and I think I'm starting to repeat myself"
      Pueblo District, Grand Canyon Council