Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Religious Emblem Program

  • Eric Crimmins
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 12:50 PM
      The final approval for the award on the scout uniform comes from the BSA religious relationships committee, so since that is the last stop its not a bad first stop either to get expectations.  The actual award and its criteria would be from the church or a committee of the church so that is another logical step, if the church wants to create / sponsor an award.  As mentioned Pray Publishing does serve as a clearinghouse for many of the larger awards so they may be a resource even if the church ultimately does not choose to use their services.  If it is not out of line do you know what religion they are a member of, there may already be an award either not yet approved or it may fall under the umbrella of God & Country and they are just not aware of it.  A member of our district committee, he's also my pack's COR, is on the national religious relationships committee.  We have a district meeting tonight, if he is there I'll try and get some
      additional info from him.

      Eric

      Eric J. Crimmins
      Webelos Den Leader, Pack 345
      Committee Member, Wood District
      Erie Shores Council
      “I used to be an Owl…”

    • Alan Smason
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 12:51 PM
        Phil,
        I'm a little confused. If this parent is looking to have Scouts
        participate in a relgious emblem program, there are plenty of those out
        there from the Catholic (Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei, St. Pius XXII) to the
        Protestant (God and Me, God and Family, God and Church and God and Life) to
        the Jewish (Maccabee, Aleph, Ner Tamid and Etz Chaim).
        In most cases, these programs are implemented by national committees
        such as the National Catholic Committee on Scouting and the National Jewish
        Commiittee on Scouting. Several Protestant groups such as the United
        Methodist Church have their own groups such as UAMS that encourage Scouts
        and Scouters to acheive religious emblems and adult awards, respectively.
        Many of these religious emblem and adult awards programs are owned by
        the respective religious faith groups, but their medallions and certificates
        are maintained for them by P.R.A.Y. (Programs of Religious Activities with
        Youth) http://www.praypub.org
        Why on earth would a parent need to create a program when so many good
        programs formally sanctioned by the National Council of the BSA already
        exist? Frankly, the process to get a religious program okayed is a lengthy
        one and requires vetting before a number of standing BSA committees. Unless
        the religious is already grandfathered in, it stands a very hard chance of
        being recognized by the National BSA Council. Could you e-mail me off the
        list and I can continue this discussion with you.

        With you in Scouting,

        Alan Smason
        New Orleans, LA
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8 12:10 PM
          Thank you to everyone who helped on this. I have contacted PRAY and some of the others offline and am awaiting reponses. Just to clarify, the religion is Tenrikyo which is from Japan (you can find it on Wikipedia). I have done a fair amount of research and cannot find any existing program. If anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions, I would be happy to hear from you.

          Yours in scouting service,

          Phil Weiss