RE: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Religious Emblem Program

  • Doug Acker
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 12:22 PM
      All religious emblem programs are run by the respective faiths. A good
      place to start is the Pray Pub folks ... www.praypub.org

      Doug Acker

      District Chaplain, Tomahawk District, SHAC

      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 12:39 PM
        Phil, you need to PRAY. <grin>

        Seriously, the religious emblems program is endorsed by the BSA but is not a
        BSA program. If you will take a look here:

        http://www.praypub.org/

        you will find the parent organization behind the religious emblems program,
        and a fair amount of resource help.

        Teresa Hall
        Vulcan District Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        and other stuff
        Greater AL Council

        On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM, tvcubtrainers <tvcubtrainers@...>wrote:

        > I'm looking for a way to help a parent start a new religious emblem program
        > and I cannot seem to find a resource at the national level to point me in
        > the right direction. This is a parent of a scout who will willing to put in
        > the work to create a program, he just needs guidance as to where/how to
        > formalize the program and a resource for someone who has experience in
        > developing a new program. Any recommendations of resources?
        >
        > Phil Weiss
        > Cub Leader Training Chair, Twin Valley District, SFBAC
        > Unit Commissioner, Twin Valley District, SFBAC
        > Cubmaster, Pack 915, Livermore, CA
        > Chaplain, Troop 924, Livermore, CA
        > and whatever else I need to be to help the boys grow!

      • Eric Crimmins
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 12:50 PM
          The final approval for the award on the scout uniform comes from the BSA religious relationships committee, so since that is the last stop its not a bad first stop either to get expectations.  The actual award and its criteria would be from the church or a committee of the church so that is another logical step, if the church wants to create / sponsor an award.  As mentioned Pray Publishing does serve as a clearinghouse for many of the larger awards so they may be a resource even if the church ultimately does not choose to use their services.  If it is not out of line do you know what religion they are a member of, there may already be an award either not yet approved or it may fall under the umbrella of God & Country and they are just not aware of it.  A member of our district committee, he's also my pack's COR, is on the national religious relationships committee.  We have a district meeting tonight, if he is there I'll try and get some
          additional info from him.

          Eric

          Eric J. Crimmins
          Webelos Den Leader, Pack 345
          Committee Member, Wood District
          Erie Shores Council
          “I used to be an Owl…”

        • Alan Smason
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5 12:51 PM
            Phil,
            I'm a little confused. If this parent is looking to have Scouts
            participate in a relgious emblem program, there are plenty of those out
            there from the Catholic (Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei, St. Pius XXII) to the
            Protestant (God and Me, God and Family, God and Church and God and Life) to
            the Jewish (Maccabee, Aleph, Ner Tamid and Etz Chaim).
            In most cases, these programs are implemented by national committees
            such as the National Catholic Committee on Scouting and the National Jewish
            Commiittee on Scouting. Several Protestant groups such as the United
            Methodist Church have their own groups such as UAMS that encourage Scouts
            and Scouters to acheive religious emblems and adult awards, respectively.
            Many of these religious emblem and adult awards programs are owned by
            the respective religious faith groups, but their medallions and certificates
            are maintained for them by P.R.A.Y. (Programs of Religious Activities with
            Youth) http://www.praypub.org
            Why on earth would a parent need to create a program when so many good
            programs formally sanctioned by the National Council of the BSA already
            exist? Frankly, the process to get a religious program okayed is a lengthy
            one and requires vetting before a number of standing BSA committees. Unless
            the religious is already grandfathered in, it stands a very hard chance of
            being recognized by the National BSA Council. Could you e-mail me off the
            list and I can continue this discussion with you.

            With you in Scouting,

            Alan Smason
            New Orleans, LA

            Message 5 of 6 , May 8 12:10 PM
              Thank you to everyone who helped on this. I have contacted PRAY and some of the others offline and am awaiting reponses. Just to clarify, the religion is Tenrikyo which is from Japan (you can find it on Wikipedia). I have done a fair amount of research and cannot find any existing program. If anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions, I would be happy to hear from you.

              Yours in scouting service,

              Phil Weiss