Re: [Scouter_T] TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?

  • Darleen Jeske
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2009
      I present trainings in Scouting and at work. It is VERY IMPORTANT to
      avoid acronyms whenever possible.
      The only exception is when you need to teach those acronyms to others
      because they are so commonly used (such as JLT and SPL in Scouting).
      One easy way to teach the acronyms in scouting is to develop a quick
      audience participation story. For instance:
      'Last weekend our older scouts attended JLT (every responds with
      "junior leader training"). On Monday, our SPL (every responds with
      "senior patrol leader") told the Scoutmaster that the boys would like to
      go camping in May.' etc
      If you mention those acronyms a few times during the story, and the group
      responds back with the full wording, the repetition will help them to
      learn.

      From:
      "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...>
      To:
      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Date:
      05/05/2009 11:40 AM
      Subject:
      [Scouter_T] TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?
      Sent by:
      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

      Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms
      - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of
      acronyms during training? What say you?

      YTIS,
      RCP

      This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
      confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
      copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
      reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated
      to the contrary: it does not constitute professional advice or
      opinions upon which reliance may be made by the addressee or any
      other party, and it should be considered to be a work in progress.
    • Whiteley, John F
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2009
        Acronyms shoud NOT be used in training. They are usually used as jargon to impress the new leaders with the "experienced" leader's knowledge, and they only serve to confuse the student.

        BTW, what does YTIS mean? Yours truly in Scouting? Your Trainer in Scouting? :-)

        John

        Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
        Director, Inland Waterways Academy
        Marshall Community and Technical College
        304-697-5616 (office)
        304-697-5611 (Fax)
        304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
        304-437-3321 (Cell)
        whiteley@...
        Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

        YTIS,
        RCP
      • doc marshall
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2009
          Hmm - I thought it was YITS - Yours in Traditional Scouting.
          YITS,
          Doc Marshall

          whiteley@marshall. edu
          Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

          YTIS,
          RCP

        • Carter J Wood
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2009
            YITS = You're In the Scoutnet = you are properly registered......
            see why we should never use acronyms in training.
            TITMCOAE = There Is Too Much Chance Of An Error

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2009
              OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I should say "Introduce and Explain".
              Yours inScouting and Service,
              Doc Marshall

              YITS = You're In the Scoutnet = you are properly registered.. ....
              see why we should never use acronyms in training.
              TITMCOAE = There Is Too Much Chance Of An Error

              Hmm - I thought it was YITS - Yours in Traditional Scouting.
              YITS,
              Doc Marshall

              Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

              YTIS,
              RCP

            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                Whiteley, John F wrote:
                > Acronyms shoud NOT be used in training. They are usually used as jargon to impress the new leaders with the "experienced" leader's knowledge, and they only serve to confuse the student.

                I don't think all people use it to impress others. In the same way
                some folks use Internet abbreviations ... they are just accustomed to
                using them and talking to an audience that understands them too.

                Besides abbreviation, euphemisms can leave new Scouters with a blank
                stare. I know at training this weekend, a great trainer used the term
                "white elephant". I know I had never heard it before Scouting. I
                interjected and pointed out some may not know what she is referring
                to. And, in fact, some had no idea. (around here, those tent/carport
                things are referred to as a "white elephant")

                Lisa Titus
                CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
                I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250

              • Richard C. Pushies
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                  Since I asked the question, "TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?" I will give you my answer. Yes, acronyms can both help and hinder. They can help when everyone knows the meaning we assign to the abbreviated communication formed from the letters (BSA, FBI, USMC,IRS, etc.). However, when the meaning you assign to those TLA & FLA abbreviations is not known to all (TTFN, SNAFU, ITOLS, IOLS, BALOO, PLC, SPL, FOS, JOTA, TNT, PTC, OA), their use hinders communication. I had also forgot about MDA's (Multiple Definition Acronyms) BSA is used in a numbe rof context with a number of different meanings. Boy Scouts of America, BSA Motorcycles, Business Software Alliance, etc. Talk about confusing!

                  The rule I was taught suggests we limit the use of acronyms because of their potential to hinder communication and suggests that when an acronym is used for the first time we define what it means. Otherwise you may confuse your audience instead of communicate.

                  This is what I did in my original post on this question. I defined TLA and FLA. However I did not (intentionally) define YTIS used in my closing. It stands for "Yours Truly In Scouting." A valediction I started using many years ago. The "Your Trainer In Scouting" explanation is interesting, I had never seen that meaning before. I like it.

                  I also like Darlene Jeske's method of creating a quick audience participation story to help teach the meaning of common Scouting acronyms. I'll put that one to work! Thank you for sharing Darlene.

                  Also, be very careful using acronyms that you do not understand the meaning of is another a good rule. Acronyms like "fubar" or "snafu" have rather vulgar origins. More than once I have seen a church newsletter use the word "snafu" in print. One would hope they do not understand the origin of the word snafu.

                  Words are fun!

                  So, for now I say, TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)

                  Rick

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, doc marshall <deutche01@...> wrote:

                  > OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I should say "Introduce and Explain".
                  > Yours inScouting and Service,
                  > Doc Marshall

                • Joseph Jansen
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                    One thing you can do is to produce a pocket booklet with BSA acronyms - see
                    this link:
                    http://www.scoutway.net/scouter/abc.html
                    and pass the booklets out at training.
                    I also like the idea of the audience sounding off with the complete wording
                    which the acronym stands for in a training session.
                    Joe Jansen

                    On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Richard C. Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

                    > Since I asked the question, "TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder
                    > Communication?" I will give you my answer. Yes, acronyms can both help and
                    > hinder. They can help when everyone knows the meaning we assign to the
                    > abbreviated communication formed from the letters (BSA, FBI, USMC,IRS,
                    > etc.). However, when the meaning you assign to those TLA & FLA abbreviations
                    > is not known to all (TTFN, SNAFU, ITOLS, IOLS, BALOO, PLC, SPL, FOS, JOTA,
                    > TNT, PTC, OA), their use hinders communication. I had also forgot about
                    > MDA's (Multiple Definition Acronyms) BSA is used in a numbe rof context with
                    > a number of different meanings. Boy Scouts of America, BSA Motorcycles,
                    > Business Software Alliance, etc. Talk about confusing!
                    >
                    > The rule I was taught suggests we limit the use of acronyms because of
                    > their potential to hinder communication and suggests that when an acronym is
                    > used for the first time we define what it means. Otherwise you may confuse
                    > your audience instead of communicate.
                    >
                    > This is what I did in my original post on this question. I defined TLA and
                    > FLA. However I did not (intentionally) define YTIS used in my closing. It
                    > stands for "Yours Truly In Scouting." A valediction I started using many
                    > years ago. The "Your Trainer In Scouting" explanation is interesting, I had
                    > never seen that meaning before. I like it.
                    >
                    > I also like Darlene Jeske's method of creating a quick audience
                    > participation story to help teach the meaning of common Scouting acronyms.
                    > I'll put that one to work! Thank you for sharing Darlene.
                    >
                    > Also, be very careful using acronyms that you do not understand the meaning
                    > of is another a good rule. Acronyms like "fubar" or "snafu" have rather
                    > vulgar origins. More than once I have seen a church newsletter use the word
                    > "snafu" in print. One would hope they do not understand the origin of the
                    > word snafu.
                    >
                    > Words are fun!
                    >
                    > So, for now I say, TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)
                    >
                    > Rick
                    >
                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>, doc
                    > marshall <deutche01@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do
                    > introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to
                    > hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I
                    > should say "Introduce and Explain".
                    > > Yours inScouting and Service,
                    > > Doc Marshall

                  • Darleen Jeske
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                      Since enough of you have liked the idea, I thought it'd be nice to share
                      one audience participation I developed for Cub Roundtable (to introduce
                      the various trainings). Keep in mind that this was used back when we had
                      NLE, but it might be a good starting point for any of you to develop your
                      own audience participation ideas.
                      Yours in Scouting
                      Darleen Jeske, Training Chair
                      Potawatomi Area Council

                      From:
                      Joseph Jansen <JAJansenJr@...>
                      To:
                      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                      Date:
                      05/06/2009 05:21 AM
                      Re: [Scouter_T] Re: TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?
                      Sent by:
                      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                      One thing you can do is to produce a pocket booklet with BSA acronyms -
                      see
                      this link:
                      http://www.scoutway.net/scouter/abc.html
                      and pass the booklets out at training.
                      I also like the idea of the audience sounding off with the complete
                      wording
                      which the acronym stands for in a training session.
                      Joe Jansen
                    • Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                        Since enough of you have liked the idea, I thought it'd be nice to share
                        one audience participation I developed for Cub Roundtable (to introduce
                        the various trainings). Keep in mind that this was used back when we had
                        NLE, but it might be a good starting point for any of you to develop your
                        own audience participation ideas.
                        _________
                        Darlene - did you attach something? Attachments get stripped off by the list. Or did you upload the item to the files?

                        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner