TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?

  • Richard C. Pushies
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2009
      Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

      YTIS,
      RCP
    • Darleen Jeske
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2009
        I present trainings in Scouting and at work. It is VERY IMPORTANT to
        avoid acronyms whenever possible.
        The only exception is when you need to teach those acronyms to others
        because they are so commonly used (such as JLT and SPL in Scouting).
        One easy way to teach the acronyms in scouting is to develop a quick
        audience participation story. For instance:
        'Last weekend our older scouts attended JLT (every responds with
        "junior leader training"). On Monday, our SPL (every responds with
        "senior patrol leader") told the Scoutmaster that the boys would like to
        go camping in May.' etc
        If you mention those acronyms a few times during the story, and the group
        responds back with the full wording, the repetition will help them to
        learn.

        From:
        "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...>
        To:
        scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
        Date:
        05/05/2009 11:40 AM
        Subject:
        [Scouter_T] TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?
        Sent by:
        scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

        Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms
        - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of
        acronyms during training? What say you?

        YTIS,
        RCP

        This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
        confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
        copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
        reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated
        to the contrary: it does not constitute professional advice or
        opinions upon which reliance may be made by the addressee or any
        other party, and it should be considered to be a work in progress.
      • Whiteley, John F
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2009
          Acronyms shoud NOT be used in training. They are usually used as jargon to impress the new leaders with the "experienced" leader's knowledge, and they only serve to confuse the student.

          BTW, what does YTIS mean? Yours truly in Scouting? Your Trainer in Scouting? :-)

          John

          Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
          Director, Inland Waterways Academy
          Marshall Community and Technical College
          304-697-5616 (office)
          304-697-5611 (Fax)
          304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
          304-437-3321 (Cell)
          whiteley@...
          Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

          YTIS,
          RCP
        • doc marshall
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2009
            Hmm - I thought it was YITS - Yours in Traditional Scouting.
            YITS,
            Doc Marshall

            whiteley@marshall. edu
            Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

            YTIS,
            RCP

          • Carter J Wood
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2009
              YITS = You're In the Scoutnet = you are properly registered......
              see why we should never use acronyms in training.
              TITMCOAE = There Is Too Much Chance Of An Error

              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I should say "Introduce and Explain".
                Yours inScouting and Service,
                Doc Marshall

                YITS = You're In the Scoutnet = you are properly registered.. ....
                see why we should never use acronyms in training.
                TITMCOAE = There Is Too Much Chance Of An Error

                Hmm - I thought it was YITS - Yours in Traditional Scouting.
                YITS,
                Doc Marshall

                Three Letter Acronyms (TLA), Four letter Acronyms (FLA) and other acronyms - do they help or hinder communication? How do you handle the use of acronyms during training? What say you?

                YTIS,
                RCP

              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                  Whiteley, John F wrote:
                  > Acronyms shoud NOT be used in training. They are usually used as jargon to impress the new leaders with the "experienced" leader's knowledge, and they only serve to confuse the student.

                  I don't think all people use it to impress others. In the same way
                  some folks use Internet abbreviations ... they are just accustomed to
                  using them and talking to an audience that understands them too.

                  Besides abbreviation, euphemisms can leave new Scouters with a blank
                  stare. I know at training this weekend, a great trainer used the term
                  "white elephant". I know I had never heard it before Scouting. I
                  interjected and pointed out some may not know what she is referring
                  to. And, in fact, some had no idea. (around here, those tent/carport
                  things are referred to as a "white elephant")

                  Lisa Titus
                  CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                  ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                  Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
                  I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250

                • Richard C. Pushies
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                    Since I asked the question, "TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?" I will give you my answer. Yes, acronyms can both help and hinder. They can help when everyone knows the meaning we assign to the abbreviated communication formed from the letters (BSA, FBI, USMC,IRS, etc.). However, when the meaning you assign to those TLA & FLA abbreviations is not known to all (TTFN, SNAFU, ITOLS, IOLS, BALOO, PLC, SPL, FOS, JOTA, TNT, PTC, OA), their use hinders communication. I had also forgot about MDA's (Multiple Definition Acronyms) BSA is used in a numbe rof context with a number of different meanings. Boy Scouts of America, BSA Motorcycles, Business Software Alliance, etc. Talk about confusing!

                    The rule I was taught suggests we limit the use of acronyms because of their potential to hinder communication and suggests that when an acronym is used for the first time we define what it means. Otherwise you may confuse your audience instead of communicate.

                    This is what I did in my original post on this question. I defined TLA and FLA. However I did not (intentionally) define YTIS used in my closing. It stands for "Yours Truly In Scouting." A valediction I started using many years ago. The "Your Trainer In Scouting" explanation is interesting, I had never seen that meaning before. I like it.

                    I also like Darlene Jeske's method of creating a quick audience participation story to help teach the meaning of common Scouting acronyms. I'll put that one to work! Thank you for sharing Darlene.

                    Also, be very careful using acronyms that you do not understand the meaning of is another a good rule. Acronyms like "fubar" or "snafu" have rather vulgar origins. More than once I have seen a church newsletter use the word "snafu" in print. One would hope they do not understand the origin of the word snafu.

                    Words are fun!

                    So, for now I say, TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)

                    Rick

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, doc marshall <deutche01@...> wrote:

                    > OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I should say "Introduce and Explain".
                    > Yours inScouting and Service,
                    > Doc Marshall

                  • Joseph Jansen
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                      One thing you can do is to produce a pocket booklet with BSA acronyms - see
                      this link:
                      http://www.scoutway.net/scouter/abc.html
                      and pass the booklets out at training.
                      I also like the idea of the audience sounding off with the complete wording
                      which the acronym stands for in a training session.
                      Joe Jansen

                      On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Richard C. Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

                      > Since I asked the question, "TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder
                      > Communication?" I will give you my answer. Yes, acronyms can both help and
                      > hinder. They can help when everyone knows the meaning we assign to the
                      > abbreviated communication formed from the letters (BSA, FBI, USMC,IRS,
                      > etc.). However, when the meaning you assign to those TLA & FLA abbreviations
                      > is not known to all (TTFN, SNAFU, ITOLS, IOLS, BALOO, PLC, SPL, FOS, JOTA,
                      > TNT, PTC, OA), their use hinders communication. I had also forgot about
                      > MDA's (Multiple Definition Acronyms) BSA is used in a numbe rof context with
                      > a number of different meanings. Boy Scouts of America, BSA Motorcycles,
                      > Business Software Alliance, etc. Talk about confusing!
                      >
                      > The rule I was taught suggests we limit the use of acronyms because of
                      > their potential to hinder communication and suggests that when an acronym is
                      > used for the first time we define what it means. Otherwise you may confuse
                      > your audience instead of communicate.
                      >
                      > This is what I did in my original post on this question. I defined TLA and
                      > FLA. However I did not (intentionally) define YTIS used in my closing. It
                      > stands for "Yours Truly In Scouting." A valediction I started using many
                      > years ago. The "Your Trainer In Scouting" explanation is interesting, I had
                      > never seen that meaning before. I like it.
                      >
                      > I also like Darlene Jeske's method of creating a quick audience
                      > participation story to help teach the meaning of common Scouting acronyms.
                      > I'll put that one to work! Thank you for sharing Darlene.
                      >
                      > Also, be very careful using acronyms that you do not understand the meaning
                      > of is another a good rule. Acronyms like "fubar" or "snafu" have rather
                      > vulgar origins. More than once I have seen a church newsletter use the word
                      > "snafu" in print. One would hope they do not understand the origin of the
                      > word snafu.
                      >
                      > Words are fun!
                      >
                      > So, for now I say, TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>, doc
                      > marshall <deutche01@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > OK, we forgot MDA's - Multiple-Definition Acronyms. And, yes, I do
                      > introduce acronyms in training simply because those "trainees" are going to
                      > hear a lot of them and really need to know what folks are talking about. I
                      > should say "Introduce and Explain".
                      > > Yours inScouting and Service,
                      > > Doc Marshall

                    • Darleen Jeske
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                        Since enough of you have liked the idea, I thought it'd be nice to share
                        one audience participation I developed for Cub Roundtable (to introduce
                        the various trainings). Keep in mind that this was used back when we had
                        NLE, but it might be a good starting point for any of you to develop your
                        own audience participation ideas.
                        Yours in Scouting
                        Darleen Jeske, Training Chair
                        Potawatomi Area Council

                        From:
                        Joseph Jansen <JAJansenJr@...>
                        To:
                        scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                        Date:
                        05/06/2009 05:21 AM
                        Re: [Scouter_T] Re: TLA's and FLA's Do They Help or Hinder Communication?
                        Sent by:
                        scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                        One thing you can do is to produce a pocket booklet with BSA acronyms -
                        see
                        this link:
                        http://www.scoutway.net/scouter/abc.html
                        and pass the booklets out at training.
                        I also like the idea of the audience sounding off with the complete
                        wording
                        which the acronym stands for in a training session.
                        Joe Jansen
                      • Jamie Niss Dunn
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                          Since enough of you have liked the idea, I thought it'd be nice to share
                          one audience participation I developed for Cub Roundtable (to introduce
                          the various trainings). Keep in mind that this was used back when we had
                          NLE, but it might be a good starting point for any of you to develop your
                          own audience participation ideas.
                          _________
                          Darlene - did you attach something? Attachments get stripped off by the list. Or did you upload the item to the files?

                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner