RE: [Scouter_T] Re: BALOO training - attendees who "already know everything"

  • Ray Scott
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2009
      This MIGHT be the best post I've ever seen here. Thanks for the perspective
      Jim.

      Ray Scott

      CM Pack 4126, Sylacauga AL

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , May 6, 2009
        I stole this from another council, but we are using it here:

        Ask any new Cub Scout why he wanted to join Scouting, and nine times out of ten, his answer will be "to go camping." As his leader you may have the desire to follow through on the young boy's hope; however, you may not have the skills or the confidence to actually take him camping. The goal of the BALOO training experience is to provide you with the necessary skills and confidence to venture into the great outdoors with your Cub Scouts and provide them with a great first-time camping experience.

        BALOO will help you gain knowledge of the BSA resources available to help carry out a successful pack camping activity and will provide the tools that you need to accomplish the goals for the Cub Scout camping program. It is very important that the boys' first-time camping experience be a good one – that the young Cub Scouts come home wanting more. To accomplish this goal, this training will focus on the health and safety of the participants, program planning, and a few basic outdoor skills.

        According to National BSA Standards, "Pack overnighters must be organized and led by an adult leader who has successfully completed BALOO training, within the past 2 years." Without a BALOO trained adult, packs CAN NOT participate in overnight camping except at council sponsored events. At least one adult from your pack must be BALOO trained to conduct a pack campout and must be in attendance at the campout.
      • Peter Mullaney
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2009
          If you stole it from another council I believe they stole it from a video.
          ;-)

          By the way has the latest version of the CS Outdoor Program Guidelines been
          posted in the files section? I haven't had a chance to look.

          Our RT was great the other night - we staged it around an indoor
          'campfire'. Participants were told to bring a camp chair to sit on. I got
          to push our upcoming BALOO training. I told it like it is - the Scouting
          course that they will have the most fun taking.

          Pete M.

          On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Bill Nelson <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > I stole this from another council, but we are using it here:
          >
          > Ask any new Cub Scout why he wanted to join Scouting, and nine times out of
          > ten, his answer will be "to go camping." As his leader you may have the
          > desire to follow through on the young boy's hope; however, you may not have
          > the skills or the confidence to actually take him camping. The goal of the
          > BALOO training experience is to provide you with the necessary skills and
          > confidence to venture into the great outdoors with your Cub Scouts and
          > provide them with a great first-time camping experience.
          >
          > BALOO will help you gain knowledge of the BSA resources available to help
          > carry out a successful pack camping activity and will provide the tools that
          > you need to accomplish the goals for the Cub Scout camping program. It is
          > very important that the boys' first-time camping experience be a good one �
          > that the young Cub Scouts come home wanting more. To accomplish this goal,
          > this training will focus on the health and safety of the participants,
          > program planning, and a few basic outdoor skills.

          > According to National BSA Standards, "Pack overnighters must be organized
          > and led by an adult leader who has successfully completed BALOO training,
          > within the past 2 years." Without a BALOO trained adult, packs CAN NOT
          > participate in overnight camping except at council sponsored events. At
          > least one adult from your pack must be BALOO trained to conduct a pack
          > campout and must be in attendance at the campout.

        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7, 2009
            Peter Mullaney wrote:
            > If you stole it from another council I believe they stole it from a video.
            > ;-)

            I think a lot of the wording comes right from the Aims and Purposes
            section of BALOO too. I just taught it this weekend, but I don't have
            my book handy to check.

            Lisa Titus
            CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
            ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us