RE: [Scouter_T] What is online training?

  • Joe & Jennifer Woodwell
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      I look at it as a form of self-study. It's actually a super-set of
      self-study because it contains added features that insure all topics were
      reviewed by the learner, the learner was tested, and the learner passed with
      the minimum knowledge required.

      What's more is that if the learner fails a question, they are given
      immediate feedback which will enables her or him to understand the topic
      better, retry the question, and to pass the test.

      Joe Woodwell

      Longhorn Council - Flower Mound, TX

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2009
        Knot tying through distance education == Someone is trying it already:
        http://www.animatedknots.com/

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2009
          Hello John,

          I see we see this topic from a very similar perspective. You have clarified
          my own answer to this question in your response. It is "new" and does not
          fit neatly into any of the traditional training methods currently defined in
          Scouting. As a "new" type of training all our Scouting trainers need to be
          aware of the benefits and limitations of online training. How we adapt to
          this new method and ensure it optimizes the training experience for our
          volunteer leaders is an important topic that needs open discussion. I
          believe Scouter_T is an appropriate place for us to discuss such topics.

          Training should do more than just convey facts, data, policies and
          procedures. It should also share the excitement and joy of serving in
          Scouting as a volunteer leader. The Trainer's Philosophy of the BSA states,
          "The information we convey to our participants during training sessions goes
          far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder than any words we can
          present." How do trainer's allow our example to speak loudly when the
          trainer is no longer directly involved in a big portion of the "new"
          training? How do we overcome this limitation?

          The other aspect of the training experience that I believe is very important
          includes the social interaction of participants as well as the interaction
          of trainers. In the broader image of Scouting, it is a social organization.
          Thus we need to provide an opportunity for members to socialize. We do this
          well for our youth with their weekly meetings and outings. Leaders beyond
          the unit level often do not have as many opportunities to socialize and
          training events a also important venues to socialize. This is very important
          in the cultivation and training of volunteer leaders in Scouting.

          I believe most people would agree that a volunteer who takes Youth
          Protection Training online has a different training experience than a
          volunteer who attends a group training experience on Youth Protection done
          by the local council. Different is not necessarily better or worse, just
          different. A big plus with the online version is the consistent message and
          delivery. However it does not allow for responses to individual questions or
          concerns that can greatly change the impact of training that the traditional
          group training experience allows. Should we also be incorporating the use of
          "social networking web sites" like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and such to
          provide a venue for individual questions to be answered? That seems to be
          the direction BSA is moving with the work on Scouting Community social
          network site that is in development for inclusion in the My Scouting portion
          of the National web site.

          So, a question we will need to address, as online training continues to
          become more widely used in Scouting is, "How do we adapt to online training
          and optimize the training of all our leaders who rely more and more on
          online or distance training?" Do we need to change our approach to managing
          training as our training process evolves to include more technology based
          training methods? What say you, Scouter_T members?

          Yours Truly in Scouting,

          Rick

          805-925-9144

            whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu> <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>