RE: [Scouter_T] What is online training?

  • Joe & Jennifer Woodwell
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      I look at it as a form of self-study. It's actually a super-set of
      self-study because it contains added features that insure all topics were
      reviewed by the learner, the learner was tested, and the learner passed with
      the minimum knowledge required.

      What's more is that if the learner fails a question, they are given
      immediate feedback which will enables her or him to understand the topic
      better, retry the question, and to pass the test.

      Joe Woodwell

      Longhorn Council - Flower Mound, TX

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
        Online training is a "new" type of training that doesn't fit into the traditional Boy Scout definitions of training. Online training can be seen as distance education, where the instructor and the student interact asynchronously to meet an educational objective. It contains elements of all three traditional training situations (Group training because the "instructor" -- the person or team who designed the instruction -- is interacting with a large number of students, Personal Coaching because there is the lack of group dynamics, and Self-Study because the student works at his or her own pace). However, it really is its own creature, and in the opinion of many educators, myself included, will be a significant element of the education of the future. (Although hands-on training will still be important in certain situations --ever tried to teach knot tying through distance education?)

        YiS

        John
        District Training Chair, Muguyoh District, Tri-State Area Council

        and in my "other" life:
        Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
        Director, Inland Waterways Academy
        Marshall Community and Technical College
        304-697-5616 (office)
        304-697-5611 (Fax)
        304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
        304-437-3321 (Cell)
        whiteley@...

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2009
          Knot tying through distance education == Someone is trying it already:
          http://www.animatedknots.com/

          whiteley@... <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2009
            Hello John,

            I see we see this topic from a very similar perspective. You have clarified
            my own answer to this question in your response. It is "new" and does not
            fit neatly into any of the traditional training methods currently defined in
            Scouting. As a "new" type of training all our Scouting trainers need to be
            aware of the benefits and limitations of online training. How we adapt to
            this new method and ensure it optimizes the training experience for our
            volunteer leaders is an important topic that needs open discussion. I
            believe Scouter_T is an appropriate place for us to discuss such topics.

            Training should do more than just convey facts, data, policies and
            procedures. It should also share the excitement and joy of serving in
            Scouting as a volunteer leader. The Trainer's Philosophy of the BSA states,
            "The information we convey to our participants during training sessions goes
            far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder than any words we can
            present." How do trainer's allow our example to speak loudly when the
            trainer is no longer directly involved in a big portion of the "new"
            training? How do we overcome this limitation?

            The other aspect of the training experience that I believe is very important
            includes the social interaction of participants as well as the interaction
            of trainers. In the broader image of Scouting, it is a social organization.
            Thus we need to provide an opportunity for members to socialize. We do this
            well for our youth with their weekly meetings and outings. Leaders beyond
            the unit level often do not have as many opportunities to socialize and
            training events a also important venues to socialize. This is very important
            in the cultivation and training of volunteer leaders in Scouting.

            I believe most people would agree that a volunteer who takes Youth
            Protection Training online has a different training experience than a
            volunteer who attends a group training experience on Youth Protection done
            by the local council. Different is not necessarily better or worse, just
            different. A big plus with the online version is the consistent message and
            delivery. However it does not allow for responses to individual questions or
            concerns that can greatly change the impact of training that the traditional
            group training experience allows. Should we also be incorporating the use of
            "social networking web sites" like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and such to
            provide a venue for individual questions to be answered? That seems to be
            the direction BSA is moving with the work on Scouting Community social
            network site that is in development for inclusion in the My Scouting portion
            of the National web site.

            So, a question we will need to address, as online training continues to
            become more widely used in Scouting is, "How do we adapt to online training
            and optimize the training of all our leaders who rely more and more on
            online or distance training?" Do we need to change our approach to managing
            training as our training process evolves to include more technology based
            training methods? What say you, Scouter_T members?

            Yours Truly in Scouting,

            Rick

            805-925-9144

              whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu> <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>