Re: [Scouter_T] What is online training?

  • John Halter
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      If you were going to attempt to fit it into one of these three
      categories, my feeling is that it would fit into self study. I suppose
      a fourth category could be created for online training, but I'm not sure
      it's really necessary. Just my two pennies...

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Assistant Council Commissioner
      Central FL Council, B.S.A.
      http://commissioners.cfcbsa.org
      "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

      Richard C. Pushies wrote:

      > According to the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34269 there are
      > three types of training situations in Scouting:
      >
      > Group Training
      > Personal Coaching
      > Selfstudy
      >
      > Where does online training fit? Does it fit into one of these three
      > types? Or, is it a new type of training that does not fit the
      > traditional views of the types of training we used in Scouting?
      >
      > I am curious how all you trainers look at online training.
      >
      > Yours Truly in Scouting,
      > Rick Pushies

    • Joe & Jennifer Woodwell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
        I look at it as a form of self-study. It's actually a super-set of
        self-study because it contains added features that insure all topics were
        reviewed by the learner, the learner was tested, and the learner passed with
        the minimum knowledge required.

        What's more is that if the learner fails a question, they are given
        immediate feedback which will enables her or him to understand the topic
        better, retry the question, and to pass the test.

        Joe Woodwell

        Longhorn Council - Flower Mound, TX

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
          Online training is a "new" type of training that doesn't fit into the traditional Boy Scout definitions of training. Online training can be seen as distance education, where the instructor and the student interact asynchronously to meet an educational objective. It contains elements of all three traditional training situations (Group training because the "instructor" -- the person or team who designed the instruction -- is interacting with a large number of students, Personal Coaching because there is the lack of group dynamics, and Self-Study because the student works at his or her own pace). However, it really is its own creature, and in the opinion of many educators, myself included, will be a significant element of the education of the future. (Although hands-on training will still be important in certain situations --ever tried to teach knot tying through distance education?)

          YiS

          John
          District Training Chair, Muguyoh District, Tri-State Area Council

          and in my "other" life:
          Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
          Director, Inland Waterways Academy
          Marshall Community and Technical College
          304-697-5616 (office)
          304-697-5611 (Fax)
          304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
          304-437-3321 (Cell)
          whiteley@...

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2009
            Knot tying through distance education == Someone is trying it already:
            http://www.animatedknots.com/

            whiteley@... <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2009
              Hello John,

              I see we see this topic from a very similar perspective. You have clarified
              my own answer to this question in your response. It is "new" and does not
              fit neatly into any of the traditional training methods currently defined in
              Scouting. As a "new" type of training all our Scouting trainers need to be
              aware of the benefits and limitations of online training. How we adapt to
              this new method and ensure it optimizes the training experience for our
              volunteer leaders is an important topic that needs open discussion. I
              believe Scouter_T is an appropriate place for us to discuss such topics.

              Training should do more than just convey facts, data, policies and
              procedures. It should also share the excitement and joy of serving in
              Scouting as a volunteer leader. The Trainer's Philosophy of the BSA states,
              "The information we convey to our participants during training sessions goes
              far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder than any words we can
              present." How do trainer's allow our example to speak loudly when the
              trainer is no longer directly involved in a big portion of the "new"
              training? How do we overcome this limitation?

              The other aspect of the training experience that I believe is very important
              includes the social interaction of participants as well as the interaction
              of trainers. In the broader image of Scouting, it is a social organization.
              Thus we need to provide an opportunity for members to socialize. We do this
              well for our youth with their weekly meetings and outings. Leaders beyond
              the unit level often do not have as many opportunities to socialize and
              training events a also important venues to socialize. This is very important
              in the cultivation and training of volunteer leaders in Scouting.

              I believe most people would agree that a volunteer who takes Youth
              Protection Training online has a different training experience than a
              volunteer who attends a group training experience on Youth Protection done
              by the local council. Different is not necessarily better or worse, just
              different. A big plus with the online version is the consistent message and
              delivery. However it does not allow for responses to individual questions or
              concerns that can greatly change the impact of training that the traditional
              group training experience allows. Should we also be incorporating the use of
              "social networking web sites" like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and such to
              provide a venue for individual questions to be answered? That seems to be
              the direction BSA is moving with the work on Scouting Community social
              network site that is in development for inclusion in the My Scouting portion
              of the National web site.

              So, a question we will need to address, as online training continues to
              become more widely used in Scouting is, "How do we adapt to online training
              and optimize the training of all our leaders who rely more and more on
              online or distance training?" Do we need to change our approach to managing
              training as our training process evolves to include more technology based
              training methods? What say you, Scouter_T members?

              Yours Truly in Scouting,

              Rick

              805-925-9144

                whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu> <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>