What is online training?

  • Richard C. Pushies
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      According to the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34269 there are three types of training situations in Scouting:

      Group Training
      Personal Coaching
      Selfstudy

      Where does online training fit? Does it fit into one of these three types? Or, is it a new type of training that does not fit the traditional views of the types of training we used in Scouting?

      I am curious how all you trainers look at online training.

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick Pushies
    • John Halter
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
        If you were going to attempt to fit it into one of these three
        categories, my feeling is that it would fit into self study. I suppose
        a fourth category could be created for online training, but I'm not sure
        it's really necessary. Just my two pennies...

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        Assistant Council Commissioner
        Central FL Council, B.S.A.
        http://commissioners.cfcbsa.org
        "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

        Richard C. Pushies wrote:

        > According to the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34269 there are
        > three types of training situations in Scouting:
        >
        > Group Training
        > Personal Coaching
        > Selfstudy
        >
        > Where does online training fit? Does it fit into one of these three
        > types? Or, is it a new type of training that does not fit the
        > traditional views of the types of training we used in Scouting?
        >
        > I am curious how all you trainers look at online training.
        >
        > Yours Truly in Scouting,
        > Rick Pushies

      • Joe & Jennifer Woodwell
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
          I look at it as a form of self-study. It's actually a super-set of
          self-study because it contains added features that insure all topics were
          reviewed by the learner, the learner was tested, and the learner passed with
          the minimum knowledge required.

          What's more is that if the learner fails a question, they are given
          immediate feedback which will enables her or him to understand the topic
          better, retry the question, and to pass the test.

          Joe Woodwell

          Longhorn Council - Flower Mound, TX

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
            Online training is a "new" type of training that doesn't fit into the traditional Boy Scout definitions of training. Online training can be seen as distance education, where the instructor and the student interact asynchronously to meet an educational objective. It contains elements of all three traditional training situations (Group training because the "instructor" -- the person or team who designed the instruction -- is interacting with a large number of students, Personal Coaching because there is the lack of group dynamics, and Self-Study because the student works at his or her own pace). However, it really is its own creature, and in the opinion of many educators, myself included, will be a significant element of the education of the future. (Although hands-on training will still be important in certain situations --ever tried to teach knot tying through distance education?)

            YiS

            John
            District Training Chair, Muguyoh District, Tri-State Area Council

            and in my "other" life:
            Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
            Director, Inland Waterways Academy
            Marshall Community and Technical College
            304-697-5616 (office)
            304-697-5611 (Fax)
            304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
            304-437-3321 (Cell)
            whiteley@...

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2009
              Knot tying through distance education == Someone is trying it already:
              http://www.animatedknots.com/

              whiteley@... <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2009
                Hello John,

                I see we see this topic from a very similar perspective. You have clarified
                my own answer to this question in your response. It is "new" and does not
                fit neatly into any of the traditional training methods currently defined in
                Scouting. As a "new" type of training all our Scouting trainers need to be
                aware of the benefits and limitations of online training. How we adapt to
                this new method and ensure it optimizes the training experience for our
                volunteer leaders is an important topic that needs open discussion. I
                believe Scouter_T is an appropriate place for us to discuss such topics.

                Training should do more than just convey facts, data, policies and
                procedures. It should also share the excitement and joy of serving in
                Scouting as a volunteer leader. The Trainer's Philosophy of the BSA states,
                "The information we convey to our participants during training sessions goes
                far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder than any words we can
                present." How do trainer's allow our example to speak loudly when the
                trainer is no longer directly involved in a big portion of the "new"
                training? How do we overcome this limitation?

                The other aspect of the training experience that I believe is very important
                includes the social interaction of participants as well as the interaction
                of trainers. In the broader image of Scouting, it is a social organization.
                Thus we need to provide an opportunity for members to socialize. We do this
                well for our youth with their weekly meetings and outings. Leaders beyond
                the unit level often do not have as many opportunities to socialize and
                training events a also important venues to socialize. This is very important
                in the cultivation and training of volunteer leaders in Scouting.

                I believe most people would agree that a volunteer who takes Youth
                Protection Training online has a different training experience than a
                volunteer who attends a group training experience on Youth Protection done
                by the local council. Different is not necessarily better or worse, just
                different. A big plus with the online version is the consistent message and
                delivery. However it does not allow for responses to individual questions or
                concerns that can greatly change the impact of training that the traditional
                group training experience allows. Should we also be incorporating the use of
                "social networking web sites" like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and such to
                provide a venue for individual questions to be answered? That seems to be
                the direction BSA is moving with the work on Scouting Community social
                network site that is in development for inclusion in the My Scouting portion
                of the National web site.

                So, a question we will need to address, as online training continues to
                become more widely used in Scouting is, "How do we adapt to online training
                and optimize the training of all our leaders who rely more and more on
                online or distance training?" Do we need to change our approach to managing
                training as our training process evolves to include more technology based
                training methods? What say you, Scouter_T members?

                Yours Truly in Scouting,

                Rick

                805-925-9144

                  whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu> <mailto:whiteley%40marshall.edu>