shirts in or out

  • tllind1954
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
      Hi
      I have been an observer on this group for quite awhile and have not actually posted a message,but since we have been talking uniform stuff even though this a training group-I have a question that has been asked several times at my recent trainings. The new centennial shirt/blouse is straight edge and slit on the sides (mens and Ladies, both). Does this mean it is OK to wear it untucked? If not where is this stated? I have found no info in the insignia guide or inspection sheets that say shirts and blouses must be tucked in. Before the only straight edges were the ladies tan and yellow blouses. Now all are straight-no tail. I have men and ladies wearing their new shirts and blouses out. I would like to give an answer at my next training event. written policy/guideline is what I am looking for, not just 'it has always been tucked in'-because we all know this is not your daddy's Boy Scouts.
    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
        Woulld go to the Governor or higher with a untucked shirt????
         I would hope not. Tucked in is the way to go I think.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

      • ed5870@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
          This has been an argument here before. I feel it is the only way to
          correctly wear the uniform. I feel this way since it is the only way to show the
          boys the correct way to wear it. I know I will get arguments from women and
          people with a rounder body that it is uncomplimentary that way. A uniform
          is not designed to compliment your shape it is to be uniform.

          Ed Harvey
          Dutchess District Training Chair
          Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

          From: tllind1954 <_tllind1954@..._ (mailto:tllind1954@...) >
          To: _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com)
          Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 9:21 PM

          Hi
[...]

          web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

        • Peter Mullaney
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
            Responders,
            He didn't ask what you feel about it, he's looking for OFFICIAL
            guidance. If trainers spout what they feel is correct,
            the trainees will tend to believe it is OFFICIAL because they heard it at
            training.

            Pete M.

            --- On Tue, 4/14/09, tllind1954 <tllind1954@...<tllind1954%40yahoo.com>>
            wrote:

            > From: tllind1954 <tllind1954@... <tllind1954%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] shirts in or out
            > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 9:21 PM
            >

            > Hi
            > I have been an observer on this group for quite awhile and have not
            > actually posted a message,but since we have been talking uniform stuff even
            > though this a training group-I have a question that has been asked several
            > times at my recent trainings. The new centennial shirt/blouse is straight
            > edge and slit on the sides (mens and Ladies, both). Does this mean it is OK
            > to wear it untucked? If not where is this stated? I have found no info in
            > the insignia guide or inspection sheets that say shirts and blouses must be
            > tucked in. Before the only straight edges were the ladies tan and yellow
            > blouses. Now all are straight-no tail. I have men and ladies wearing their
            > new shirts and blouses out. I would like to give an answer at my next
            > training event. written policy/guideline is what I am looking for, not just
            > 'it has always been tucked in'-because we all know this is not your daddy's
            > Boy Scouts.

          • Herbert Dulzo
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
              I found this response on another group. I supposed if you can find a picture of the uniform untucked there may be some discussion but based on this response a picture is trully worth 1000 words

              Response on Scouter news group
              I sent an email to National Headquarters regarding this policy (or lack there of and this is their response)
              ___
              "On page 1 of the Insignia Guide 2005, it says under Official Policy, "The leaders of Scouting – both volunteer and professional – promote the wearing of the correct complete uniform on all suitable occasions." On the same page, under Official Uniforms, it also says (and this is an excerpt form BSA Rules and Regulations, Clause 2), "The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America.

              Both the Female Leader Uniform Inspection sheet, No. 34281, and the 2005 Boy Scouts of America Official Retail Catalog show female leaders in uniform, and in every case they have their shirt tails tucked in. So, as it says in Clause 2 above, that makes it official. "
              Submitted by herb d chicago bsa

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Peter Mullaney <mullaney@...> wrote:

              > Responders,
              > He didn't ask what you feel about it, he's looking for OFFICIAL
              > guidance. If trainers spout what they feel is correct,
              > the trainees will tend to believe it is OFFICIAL because they heard it at
              > training.
              >
              > Pete M.
              >
              > --- On Tue, 4/14/09, tllind1954 <tllind1954@...<tllind1954%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > From: tllind1954 <tllind1954@... <tllind1954%40yahoo.com>>
              > > Subject: [Scouter_T] shirts in or out
              > > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 9:21 PM
              > >

              > > Hi
              > > I have been an observer on this group for quite awhile and have not
              > > actually posted a message,but since we have been talking uniform stuff even
              > > though this a training group-I have a question that has been asked several
              > > times at my recent trainings. The new centennial shirt/blouse is straight
              > > edge and slit on the sides (mens and Ladies, both). Does this mean it is OK
              > > to wear it untucked? If not where is this stated? I have found no info in
              > > the insignia guide or inspection sheets that say shirts and blouses must be
              > > tucked in. Before the only straight edges were the ladies tan and yellow
              > > blouses. Now all are straight-no tail. I have men and ladies wearing their
              > > new shirts and blouses out. I would like to give an answer at my next
              > > training event. written policy/guideline is what I am looking for, not just
              > > 'it has always been tucked in'-because we all know this is not your daddy's
              > > Boy Scouts.

            • Jamie Niss Dunn
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                >he's looking for OFFICIAL
                >guidance.
                Problem is there isn't any. We've had this discussion on Cub-Scout-Talk.There is no definitive statement anywhere, that I have found, which says that uniform shirts are worn tucked in.

                The closest I have come is this statement from the Insignia Guide, which is an excerpt from the BSA Rules &? Regulations:
                "Clause 2. The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America."

                Since the illustrations on the inspection sheets, supply catalogs, handbooks and other literature show the shirt tucked in . . .

                In addition the Uniform Inspection sheets have a General Appearance category, which includes the criteria "neatly dressed".

                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District
                Scouting. Good for Life.

              • Herbert Dulzo
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 18, 2009
                  You don't need a statement, the inspection sheet shows it tucked in. Just because it shows the scouts fly closed, it does mean it can be open?
                  hd

                  > >he's looking for OFFICIAL
                  > >guidance.
                  > Problem is there isn't any. We've had this discussion on Cub-Scout-Talk.There is no definitive statement anywhere, that I have found, which says that uniform shirts are worn tucked in.
                  >
                  > The closest I have come is this statement from the Insignia Guide, which is an excerpt from the BSA Rules &? Regulations:
                  > "Clause 2. The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America."
                  >
                  > Since the illustrations on the inspection sheets, supply catalogs, handbooks and other literature show the shirt tucked in . . .
                  >
                  > In addition the Uniform Inspection sheets have a General Appearance category, which includes the criteria "neatly dressed".
                  >

                  > YiS,
                  > Jamie Niss Dunn
                  > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                  > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                  > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  > 3 Rivers District
                  > Scouting. Good for Life.

                • Herbert Dulzo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 18, 2009
                    And as an addendum to that, here is the "offial" statement that we should follow ilustrations.......

                    excerpt form BSA Rules and Regulations, Clause 2), "The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America.

                    "as illustrated and described" pretty well covers it.

                    herb d

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herbert Dulzo" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                    > You don't need a statement, the inspection sheet shows it tucked in. Just because it shows the scouts fly closed, it does mean it can be open?
                    > hd
                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > >he's looking for OFFICIAL
                    > > >guidance.
                    > > Problem is there isn't any. We've had this discussion on Cub-Scout-Talk.There is no definitive statement anywhere, that I have found, which says that uniform shirts are worn tucked in.
                    > >
                    > > The closest I have come is this statement from the Insignia Guide, which is an excerpt from the BSA Rules &? Regulations:
                    > > "Clause 2. The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America."
                    > >
                    > > Since the illustrations on the inspection sheets, supply catalogs, handbooks and other literature show the shirt tucked in . . .
                    > >
                    > > In addition the Uniform Inspection sheets have a General Appearance category, which includes the criteria "neatly dressed".
                    > >

                    > > YiS,
                    > > Jamie Niss Dunn
                    > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                    > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                    > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                    > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                    > > 3 Rivers District
                    > > Scouting. Good for Life.

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
                      >You don't need a statement, the inspection sheet shows it tucked in. Just because it shows the >scouts fly closed, it does mean it can be open?

                      LOL - I may use that analogy the next time someone argues with me.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
                        Chapter and verse on the national website cites clause 2

                        http://www.scouting.org/Media/InsigniaGuide/02.aspx

                        herb d

                        > >You don't need a statement, the inspection sheet shows it tucked in. Just because it shows the >scouts fly closed, it does mean it can be open?
                        >
                        > LOL - I may use that analogy the next time someone argues with me.
                        >

                        > YiS,
                        > Jamie Niss Dunn
                        > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                        > 3 Rivers District
                        > Scouting. Good for Life.

                      • Peter Mullaney
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
                          Devil's Advocate:

                          It reads:
                          Clause 2. The official uniforms authorized

                          It doesn't SAY how it has to be worn, just what uniform is authorized.

                          As for pictures (and the fly analogy)-
                          What if I don't wear a neckerchief, bola, or tie, do I HAVE to leave the
                          top button unbuttoned? (I've had people tell me I should.) Is there a
                          picture showing it one way or another? Would you tell me that if both are
                          acceptable there would be multiple pictures? Should anyone care as long as
                          I don't look like a slob?

                          Personally I want my scouts to have tucked in shirts - no matter how the
                          shirt is cut, but if a woman wore it untucked and it looked tasteful I
                          really wouldn't care.

                          Unless there is somewhere that specifically states how the shirt should be
                          worn, I would suggest two possibilities to the original question - tell the
                          unit to set unit restrictions, or recommend that whatever is decided it
                          should be tasteful.

                          Pete M.

                          (I only wear Tartan on special occasions, and other neckerchiefs even less
                          frequently.)

                        • Ilively@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                            My father, born in 1926, always told me that the difference between "tucking shirts" and "non-tucking" was the cut of the 'shirt tails'. Rounded tails were ALWAYS tucked; however, square tails could either be tucked or not. Could convention have changed that much?

                            Ida
                            - who cringes at the number of 'baseball caps' worn while indoors that are NOT a part of a uniform.

                          • Herbert Dulzo
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                              I was taught the same thing. Also tuck if you are wearing a suitcoat or a tie. So would a necker count as a tie? I am sure the "tails" were eliminated to reduce the amount of fabric used on the centenial uniform. In reality it made them more difficult for the boys to keep them tucked in(adults too).

                              This is from men's Warehouse Website(I like what it says at the end):
                              When to Tuck in that Shirt
                              To tuck or not to tuck, that is the question. With dress clothing, the answer is simple: Youve got to tuck. With sportswear, theres a bit more flexibility. Here are a few pointers and to consider.

                              The general rule
                              The general rule is that untucked items appear more casual and relaxed. This doesnt mean that leaving casual shirts or sportswear untucked is necessarily inappropriate; it just means that for professional dress casual environments (like golf with a client or a company BBQ), this choice might appear a bit more relaxed than you would prefer.

                              Look and design
                              Second, consider the look and design of the item in question before opting to untuck it. Dress shirts and sport shirts that have the typical, curved shirt tails are designed to be worn tucked into a waistband. This is why they have the tail design, to allow the shirt to move without coming out altogether.

                              In contrast, many sportswear items feature a squared off hem that is designed to be worn either tucked or untucked.

                              Use your judgment
                              Its best to take a look at yourself in an untucked shirt before running out the door. Think about where youre going, who youre meeting with and the image you want to project. Then decide what makes you feel most comfortable and go with that.

                              Herb d

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@... wrote:

                              > My father, born in 1926, always told me that the difference between "tucking shirts" and "non-tucking" was the cut of the 'shirt tails'. Rounded tails were ALWAYS tucked; however, square tails could either be tucked or not. Could convention have changed that much?
                              >
                              > Ida
                              > - who cringes at the number of 'baseball caps' worn while indoors that are NOT a part of a uniform.

                            • Doug McCullough
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 21, 2009
                                I have always felt that scout shirts should always be tucked in.
                                I always make our boys tuck their shirts in whenever they are inside at a meeting.

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herbert Dulzo" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                                > I was taught the same thing. Also tuck if you are wearing a suitcoat or a tie. So would a necker count as a tie? I am sure the "tails" were eliminated to reduce the amount of fabric used on the centenial uniform. In reality it made them more difficult for the boys to keep them tucked in(adults too).
                                >

                                > This is from men's Warehouse Website(I like what it says at the end):
                                > When to Tuck in that Shirt
                                > To tuck or not to tuck, that is the question. With dress clothing, the answer is simple: Youve got to tuck. With sportswear, theres a bit more flexibility. Here are a few pointers and to consider.
                                >
                                > The general rule
                                > The general rule is that untucked items appear more casual and relaxed. This doesnt mean that leaving casual shirts or sportswear untucked is necessarily inappropriate; it just means that for professional dress casual environments (like golf with a client or a company BBQ), this choice might appear a bit more relaxed than you would prefer.
                                >
                                > Look and design
                                > Second, consider the look and design of the item in question before opting to untuck it. Dress shirts and sport shirts that have the typical, curved shirt tails are designed to be worn tucked into a waistband. This is why they have the tail design, to allow the shirt to move without coming out altogether.
                                >
                                > In contrast, many sportswear items feature a squared off hem that is designed to be worn either tucked or untucked.
                                >
                                > Use your judgment
                                > Its best to take a look at yourself in an untucked shirt before running out the door. Think about where youre going, who youre meeting with and the image you want to project. Then decide what makes you feel most comfortable and go with that.
                                >
                                > Herb d
                                >

                                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > My father, born in 1926, always told me that the difference between "tucking shirts" and "non-tucking" was the cut of the 'shirt tails'. Rounded tails were ALWAYS tucked; however, square tails could either be tucked or not. Could convention have changed that much?
                                > >
                                > > Ida
                                > > - who cringes at the number of 'baseball caps' worn while indoors that are NOT a part of a uniform.

                              • Richard C. Pushies
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 21, 2009
                                  Shirts in or shirts out? That is the question. In addition to the previously referenced Clause 2 of the BSA Insignia Guide, consider what the uniform inspection sheets state:

                                  http://209.246.150.220/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf

                                  "Uniform Inspection.
                                  Conduct the uniform inspection with common sense; the basic rule is neatness."

                                  So let common sense prevail. Uniforms are traditionally worn uniformly and all the examples provided in Scouting catalogs, the Scout Stuff web site and the uniform inspection sheets has uniform shirts uniformly tucked in. However, if a den leader is 8 months pregnant, common sense would dictate leaving the shirt tail out. I expect, having never been 8 months pregnant myself. I do remember my wife being in that condition on several occassions some years back.

                                  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

                                  Yours Truly in Scouting,
                                  Rick Pushies
                                • Herbert Dulzo
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                                    I don't want to sound sexist but I wouldn't want to be the scouter who told a pregnant woman to tuck her shirt in!

                                    Herb D.
                                    Chicago
                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

                                    > Shirts in or shirts out? That is the question. In addition to the previously referenced Clause 2 of the BSA Insignia Guide, consider what the uniform inspection sheets state:
                                    >
                                    > http://209.246.150.220/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf
                                    >
                                    > "Uniform Inspection.
                                    > Conduct the uniform inspection with common sense; the basic rule is neatness."
                                    >
                                    > So let common sense prevail. Uniforms are traditionally worn uniformly and all the examples provided in Scouting catalogs, the Scout Stuff web site and the uniform inspection sheets has uniform shirts uniformly tucked in. However, if a den leader is 8 months pregnant, common sense would dictate leaving the shirt tail out. I expect, having never been 8 months pregnant myself. I do remember my wife being in that condition on several occassions some years back.
                                    >
                                    > That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
                                    >
                                    > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                                    > Rick Pushies

                                  • Richard C. Pushies
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                                      Hi Herb,

                                      It is clear by your post that you do understand common sense! I've never been one to encourage telling others what to do. Encouraging them to do the right thing seems a better approach.

                                      Rick

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herbert Dulzo" <jamboguy@...> wrote:

                                      > I don't want to sound sexist but I wouldn't want to be the scouter who told a pregnant woman to tuck her shirt in!
                                      >
                                      > Herb D.
                                      > Chicago
                                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Shirts in or shirts out? That is the question. In addition to the previously referenced Clause 2 of the BSA Insignia Guide, consider what the uniform inspection sheets state:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://209.246.150.220/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf
                                      > >
                                      > > "Uniform Inspection.
                                      > > Conduct the uniform inspection with common sense; the basic rule is neatness."
                                      > >
                                      > > So let common sense prevail. Uniforms are traditionally worn uniformly and all the examples provided in Scouting catalogs, the Scout Stuff web site and the uniform inspection sheets has uniform shirts uniformly tucked in. However, if a den leader is 8 months pregnant, common sense would dictate leaving the shirt tail out. I expect, having never been 8 months pregnant myself. I do remember my wife being in that condition on several occassions some years back.
                                      > >
                                      > > That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
                                      > >
                                      > > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                                      > > Rick Pushies

                                    • Herbert Dulzo
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                                        I am thinking if we don't need to go by illustrations does that mean we can wear convertables with one leg on and one leg off? It doesn't say anywhere that we can't do that so does that mean we can?

                                        BTW
                                        when I purchased my new centennial uniform I elected to leave some of my knots off, actually a row of them. I elected to save money, not try my wife's patience sewing them and make my uniform a little less showy.
                                        Basically I think I eliminate all the Cub knots, I have little to do with the cub program. Anyone else do the same thing?

                                        Herb D.

                                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Herb,
                                        >
                                        > It is clear by your post that you do understand common sense! I've never been one to encourage telling others what to do. Encouraging them to do the right thing seems a better approach.
                                        >
                                        > Rick

                                      • Rick Pushies
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                                          Hi Herb,

                                          One leg on and one leg off, interesting! I bet you get along with Boy Scouts
                                          rather well.

                                          I have not made the switch to the new centennial uniform. After I drop some
                                          weight and become a less well rounded Scouter. Your wife sews on your
                                          patches? Wow! Mom taught me how to sew on my patches when I was a Boy Scout.
                                          I am still sewing them on and I hate those little knot patches!

                                          How is the new Trainer's EDGE being received around Chicago?

                                          Yours Truly in Scouting,

                                          Rick Pushies

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
                                            Pants: When they first came out our DE wore them like that to advertise them. Pretty funny looking.

                                            My mom had me sewing on patches at den meetings. My wife is a quilter so she sews and I cut the grass (do what your're good at)

                                            TE was just run for the Woodbadge course as far as I know.. No one ever came the Train the Trainer course anyway..... Not a lot of turnover with trainers. I think its one of the only jobs available in Illinois, to bad it doesn't pay.
                                            Herb d

                                          • SeanWaiss@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
                                              Herb, I did the same after purchasing the new uniform. I did not include the Cub knots on it, not for the savings you noted, but because I thought the uniform should be more subdued and the Cub knots are anything but.

                                              That said, my youngest will be a new Cub next year and I will most likely end up being a Cub leader once again (hey, there's a new Pack Trainer Award knot I don't have yet!), but I will use one of my ODL uniforms for Cubbing until after NJ2010 since that event requires a couple more new uniforms for me. Afterwards I'll convert one of the Jambo shirts into a Cub shirt, and another into a District shirt, both with all earned knots included. But my Troop shirt(s) will remain subdued.

                                              Sean Waiss
                                              Southeast Wisconsin Council
                                              NJ2010 Troop 1025 2nd Asst SM

                                              From: "Herbert Dulzo" <jamboguy@...>