Re: Mandantory Training

  • Chris Coleman
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 11, 2009
      Lisa,  I doubt anyone thinks of YPT as dissuading those who want to and will abuse.  What it can do is teach the rest of us what signs to watch out for and how not to set up situations that would more easily allow abuse.  If taught correctly and is implemented correctly it makes it more difficult for the abuser.

      With the huge penalties imposed, I doubt anything could convince a potential abuser to stop.

      Chris Coleman
      Nashua Valley Council, MA

      Lisa <bearmitzvah@ gmail.com> wrote:

      And ... call me a cynic .... but I don't believe this type of training

      is doing much about child abuse. Is someone intends to abuse a child,

      a video and discussion period is not going to dissuade them. I have

      plenty of opportunities to be alone with a child if I chose to. I have

      no need to be alone though so its easy to follow the rules. A predator

      is not going to care about the rules that have been set up. The kids

      don't know about the rules and the parents don't usually know either.

      I guess what I'm saying is its a false sense of security.

    • Chris Coleman