Re: [Scouter_T] Pack trainer

  • CubBobwhite
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Faun Guarino" <fguarino@...>

      > Does anyone have the training syllabus available with the section on
      > pack trainer?

      Pack Committee Training Syllabus
      Pack Committee Program Support

      "Remind participants that the committee supports the program as planned.
      *Training adult leaders is critical, and the committee should urge all
      of them to complete the training for their positions. Briefly review parent
      orientation, Fast Start, and BSA Basic Training. Point out additional
      opportunities in pow wows, universities of Scouting, Youth Protection
      training, and outdoor skills training. Also emphasize the importance of the
      monthly Cub Scout leader roundtable. Explain that training may be conducted
      by the district or council, but the pack's own pack trainer can give
      leadership to parent orientation, Fast Start, and BSA Basic Training."

      That is it! I have also gone through the new TTT materials and there is no
      mention in there, at least that I can find. I find this position to be most
      scary. There are packs out there that will say to their new leaders, "Don't
      worry, we can tell you everything you need to know" and then explain Cub
      Scouting their way and not the way of the BSA.

      Leslie
    • wahowland@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26 9:09 AM
        In a message dated 9/25/02 4:20:09 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

        << Without the Pack Trainer, couldn't a parent (pack leader) be expected to
        go through PST several times: once as a Tiger Partner, once as a Wolf
        Den Leader, once as a Bear Den Leader, once as Cubmaster, once as
        Webelos Den Leader? Is this much repetition likely? At what point are
        leaders going to say, "Enuf!" >>

        Hey, they're going to go thru it regardless of whther or not there is a pack
        trainer. That's the POINT, since there are different objectives, learning
        abilities, social competencies, and program aims at each level. There should
        be no repetition, or minimal, since the NLE covers all the stuff that used to
        be repeated everywhere.

        YiS
        Auntie Beans
        Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
        Training Committee Chair
        NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
        Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
        I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28 6:43 AM
          Has anyone created a syllabus (or similar) for a Pack Trainer specific training?

          If you have access to such a critter, would you share it with the list?

          Ida
        • Kevin Kennedy
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29 8:30 AM
            Ida,

            Some time ago I found a Power Point Presentation on the Web
            (where??). I can't tke nay credit for it.

            I had wanted to use it within my district to try to get pack
            trainers. Well, it did not happen as planned. I hope this helps.

            Regards,
            Kevin Kennedy
            Narragansett Council
            Netop District Leadership Development Chairman

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@a...> wrote:
            > Has anyone created a syllabus (or similar) for a Pack Trainer
            specific training?

            > If you have access to such a critter, would you share it with the
            list?

            > Ida
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
              Try going to the Central Florida Council training website at the
              following link:
              http://training.cfcbsa.org/training_resources.html
              Under "Program Training Help" (second column) the first two items are
              a "Pack Trainer Orientation" powerpoint and a "Pack Trainer" PDF
              handout. These are resources developed for pack and district trainers
              in our council some time ago. Hope they help.
              Yours in Scouting,
              ´┐╝Jim Ball
              Council Training Chairman
              Central Florida Council (Orlando)