9702Re: Trainer's EDGE

  • JWoughter
    Nov 1, 2008
      I attended the Northeast Region NYLT conference last weekend at Camp
      Alpine where the new training was discussed in depth.

      What's posted on the national website matches what was put out over the
      weekend (link is: http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/Adults/Training.aspx

      NEW! The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference
      (BSA 500) as the required train-the-trainer course for Wood Badge and
      NYLT staffs. It is meant to supplement the practice offered through
      Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the participant,
      while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff
      experience. Only practice can polish these skills, but this course is
      intended to "train the trainer" on behaviors and resources while
      offering hands-on experience in methods and media.

      The link on the page above will take you to the training materials,
      which, according to the fellow from National who briefed it (I believe
      it as Joe Glasscock) was posted online so it could be easily updated as
      necessary.

      The harder questions I've seen on this thread aren't as easy to answer:

      - Who can deliver the training? The answer given during the NYLT
      conference was that those who were leading the course (WB or NYLT)
      could give the training to their staff. I suspect the 'correct' answer
      is a bit more subtle, as each council will have their own organization
      and policies when it comes to training. All the syllabus says (p.5) on
      this is "The Trainer's EDGE course should be delivered by a staff of
      experienced trainers." The sample training completion certificate at
      the end has signature lines of the Council Training Chair and Trainer's
      EDGE Instructor

      - Will the Training EDGE replace the TDC for all Scouters? The website
      and syllabus indicate this course replaces TDC for WB and NYLT
      courses. But during the conference it was presented that this course
      is, in fact, the 'New TDC'. I have not staffed a TDC before (I'm only
      a gradute of the course as a trainee) but the new course seems generic
      enough (e.g. it is not WB or NYLT specific) and about the same material
      (e.g. 1-day course). So from my viewpoint, I can believe this course
      could very well end up being the 'New TDC' ... thoguh I suppose we'll
      have to wait something 'more official' for that to become practice.

      Yours in Scouting,

      John Woughter
      'John from Germany'
      Scoutmaster, 2009 Transatlantic Council NYLT