9422Re: [Scouter_T] handouts

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Oct 1, 2008
      With no cost, no food, we don't have to worry about how many show up. Our
      facilities are free.

      ++++++++++++++++++
      Unfortunately, it is next to impossible in our district to find a facility which can accomodate 50-120 people which will not charge us. $75.00 is about the minimum we have to pay. If we tell them to bring lunch, they "forget". Then they expect to leave the building to eat. Some of our locations have no convenient fast food. Even when there is, they take more than the time allotted for lunch, and hold up the course re-starting. On site food makes them a captive audience. Our learners appreciate that we stick to the time schedule and get them out when we say we will.

      If they don't pre-register, how do you know how many handouts to make? and how do you pay for the handouts and training cards and patches? Right now if 40 people register, at least I know to make 80 copies :)

      Your comment about the penalty fee depresses me. It gets really frustrating to consistently not have enough materials or trainers or rooms, because people don't preregister. Some of our districts have online registration. We hope to add this soon, and hope that will improve the situations.

      Don't get me wrong, we're thrilled to train as many people as we do. In a typical year, 300 or more Cub Scout leaders attend one or another of our courses (and others go out of district for training).

      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner