9221Re: [Scouter_T] Questions on the new Cub Scout leader training

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Aug 7, 2008
      In a message dated 8/7/2008 7:01:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      edboyd@... writes:

      I am preparing to run the new training for the first time next week. This is
      a special training that we set up to help a new unit and it also gives me and
      my staff a chance to run through the syllabus before our fall schedule. I
      have a few questions for those who have run the course.

      1) How are the time estimates that BSA provides? Are they too short or just
      about right? New Leader Essentials keeps coming to mind - I have yet been
      able to run that in the 90 minutes BSA says I should (I am always longer).
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      I don't have a good suggestion about the slides. I can tell you that we ran
      the course last week for a committee and Cubmaster. The first two sections -
      Intro to Cub Scouting and How We Have Fun both ran very true to the time
      suggested. We started at 6:10 and finished at 7:40.

      We attempted to combine the Committee and Cubmaster position specific
      sections - it was *very* clumsy and looked and felt ugly. It also took longer that
      1.5 hours, but I'm not sure whether that was because we had combined the two
      and had to spend time on both presentations, or because there were so many
      questions during the advancement section.

      Pack Trainer, P. 512
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      3 Rivers District
      Scouting. Good for Life.