4817Re: [Scouter_T] Re:TDC - Training Etiquette

  • Jim
    Mar 1, 2005
      Let me add a few points as well...

      Scouting's BIGGEST challenge today is not finding kids, its not even
      finding the "money" to support the program. Scouting's BIGGEST
      challenge is finding concerned adults to be positive role models for
      our youth. And getting these leaders trained is the single most
      important factor in the quality of the program our youth experience in
      Scouting. Tell them we need your help to make a positive difference in
      this "quality" factor of the program (be advocates, coaches, mentors,
      etc.).

      So what does this have to do with etiquette you ask? Well we teach many
      things in "training", but the most important thing we should try to
      teach in every training course is to live, in our daily lives, the
      values we teach in Scouting. This point cannot be emphasized enough. To
      be a good trainer is more than being good at...(fill in the blanks).
      Every minute of every course we are teaching something more important
      than the material in any syllabus. You can learn that material from
      many sources, in many ways. The MOST IMPORTANT message the participants
      should take away from any course is that "you cannot effectively teach
      the values of Scouting to our youth if you don't at least make an
      effort to live them yourself". This message is best taught by example,
      not by words. And make no mistake, the example you set will teach
      something. Our goal, as individuals and as a staff, is to set the best
      possible example as a Scouter that we can.

      This may seem a bit a-stream of the topic, but it is embodied in most
      of the items being mentioned herein. I always try to "set the stage" of
      every staff by reminding them of this very point. IMHO, setting a good
      example will make a great difference in the way our message is
      received, and perhaps have a greater positive influence in the program
      than any single subject matter taught. Thanks for listening.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Jim Ball
      Council Training Chairman
      Central Florida Council (Orlando)