      From: Ken Walker [mailto:Ken.Walker@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:53 AM
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Re:TDC - Training Etiquette

      Chris-
      This is a GREAT IDEA. No matter how experienced we are, it NEVER hurts
      cover this stuff.

      I'll take a shot. Much of this is "Training 101", but it falls into
      "appropriate behaviors", so it kinda fits. Also, some of the ideas apply
      the trainer(s) (making the presentation), and some applies to "the rest
      of
      the staff" (watching the presentation).
      Much of this is obvious, but we don't always do the obvious, so I'm
      saying
      it anyway. LOL

      For the Trainer:
      1) Be in CORRECT uniform (duh!)
      2) Be ready to start 15 mins early
      3) Circulate and greet attendees as they arrive, and introduce yourself
      (by
      name).
      4) SMILE!
      5) Try to remember the folks you meet (by name)
      6) Pay attention to your audience - FOCUS on them.
      7) Stick to the course material and refrain from sharing your "opinion"
      on
      BSA programs, policies & guidelines.
      8) Know your material, but have backup notes, and don't be afraid to
      reference them in a pinch.
      9) If you don't know the answer, don't bluff. Say you will find out and
      get
      back to them. Then make sure you do!
      10) Praise publically, critique privately (in general)
      Obviously, you need to correct misinformation related to BSA policies
      and
      guidelines - eg a violation of youth protection requirements.

      For the rest of the Staff:
      1) Be in CORRECT uniform (again, duh!)
      2) Circulate and greet attendees as they arrive, and introduce yourself
      (by
      name).
      3) SMILE!
      4) OBSERVE, and don't interfere unless called upon.
      5) Be seated, be still, be silent, be attentive, be prepared to help if
      called on.
      In short, "Set the Example". There's no worse example than a staffer
      misbehaving in the back of the room.

      Now - one request - when you summarize the feedback and create your
      presentation, will you share with all of us?

      -Ken Walker
      T-259, Plano, TX
      Great Plains District
      Circle Ten Council

      Chris Finnegan asked:

      > I've been tasked with developing a section for our upcoming TDC
      > regarding Training Etiquette.
      > Primarily this is to establish some ground rules such as: "don't
      > interject your own comments into someone elses presentation",
      > appearance, etc.
      >
      > I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done anything like this or
      > has some guidelines already established.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic