4812Re: TDC - Training Etiquette

  • tinman507
    Mar 1, 2005
      It occurs to me that I should have posted what I have so far and the
      addition Linda provided (Thanks Linda, that's one of my major pet
      peeves and I'd forgotten it)
      Training Etiquette

      Never forget you're representing your District, Council and the BSA
      to most of the participants:
      Always Train in your full field uniform. Your appearance speaks
      volumes about your credibility.
      Posture is important. Standing lends authority.
      Sitting with participants can be an invasion of their space. Always
      ask first.

      When training with other trainers…
      NEVER EVER interject your thoughts, comments and especially
      corrections into someone else's presentation. They have taken the
      time to prepare, this is their moment.
      Remember: A Scout is Courteous. Carrying on conversations with other
      trainers in the back of the room during a presentation is rude. If
      you must, take your conversation out of the room. Remember the Golden
      Rule…
      If you observe incorrect information being presented, at a break
      speak to the trainer ALONE. Allow them the opportunity to correct.

      Always give the participants your best. Prepare your presentation
      ahead and practice it. Reading a speech or notes shows a lack of
      preparation.

      Watch your audience. If you're losing them, change the pace or
      technique. Move around the room. Don't be afraid to take a short
      break. Plowing ahead without regard to effectiveness is a waste of
      your time as well as theirs.

      Eventually you may encounter a combative or argumentative
      participant. Always remain professional. Do not get suckered into an
      argument. Gently try to answer their question, but steer it back to
      your topic. If need be, tell them you'll be happy to discuss it
      during the break and move on. Losing your cool will lose your
      audience. You are the time and topic keeper. Stay on task.

      That's what I have so far. Please feel free to add additional
      thoughts.
      thanks,

      Chris Finnegan
      Bucks County Council, PA

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "doublelope" <doublelope@y...>
      wrote:

      > Chris: One thing that we've discussed at our trainings, is
      trainers
      > who "feel the need to talk to fellow trainers" , while a session is
      > going on. (I know we are all guilty of doing that from time to
      > time.) This can be very distracting to both the presenter and the
      > participants. You should point out that if trainers need to talk,
      > then they need to leave the room. My two cents worth.
      > Linda Goff
      > I use to be an Antelope...
      > Great Smoky Mountain Council
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "tinman507" <chris.finnegan@c...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Trainers,
      > >
      > > I've been tasked with developing a section for our upcoming TDC
      > > regarding Training Etiquette.
      > > Primarily this is to establish some ground rules such as: "don't
      > > interject your own comments into someone elses presentation",
      > > appearance, etc.
      > >
      > > I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done anything like this
      > or
      > > has some guidelines already established.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic