      From: smt451 <smt451@...>
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Merit Badge Counselors
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 18, 2012, 7:21 PM

      I'm currently engaged in an ongoing discussion with the Council Advancement Chair about the procedure currently used to re-register merit badge counselors.

      Currently, our council requires that we submit a new copy of the merit badge counselor information sheet (BSA Form 34405) each year regardless of whether any information has changed. This form is then reviewed each year by the advancement committee before approval or rejection.

      I am arguing that a simple "Yes I will continue" or "No I will not continue" response should be adequate for all but the few merit badges with specific qualification criteria spelled out in the Guide to Advancement. And that the screening process should occur before the invitation to renew is sent to the counselor.

      I'm curious as to what the renewal process is in your neck of the woods.

      Ned Darden
      SM Emeritus, T451
      Pace, FL
      On the beautiful Redneck Riveria