14147Re: [Scouter_T] Re:Urban legends, Handling meds

  • Scouter Chuck
    May 6, 2012
      Chiming in on this thread, again.

      The medication vacation as a treatment plan was something
      that was popular in the 80's, I believe. Unfortunately,
      while most doctors and psychologists no longer believe in
      it, once it's been published, it will get on the Internet,
      where it _never_ goes away.

      We now know that the medication vacation is not good for
      the kid or his associates, but some parents and medical
      staff still haven't heard that. A number of parent's
      I've seen prefer no treatment to "poisoning their kid
      with chemicals" for just being an "active boy".

      There is also a growing school of thought that, in spite
      of all the evidense to the contrary, ADD or ADHD are
      imaginary problems made up by "big pharma" to sell more
      meds to people. That attitude doesn't help the child,
      the adults, or the unit.

      A lot of this may come into play in situations of
      divorce, when one parent treats the kid for a problem
      the other can't or won't see.

      Now, for the kid refusing to take the meds on campout or
      summer camp, I have noticed that more often than not,
      such a kid is in the range when taking these meds is
      somthing less than "cool". This may also be related to
      some aspects of bullying, where the fact the kid is taking
      meds makes him a target of some of the others, no matter
      how much anti-bullying they get at school or elsewhere.

      One other thought. At a certain point in puberty, and
      it's quite variable, the hormones kick in and upset the
      delicate balance that has been in effect for several
      years. Things can get really interesting until the
      _new_ treatment plan is determined.

      Just a $0.02 rant.

      YiS,

      Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey