3564Re: 1st Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders - 12 April 1913 Dinapore, India

  • rolt968
    Nov 5, 2008
      --- In scottish_military@yahoogroups.com, David Millan
      <dmmon.messageboards@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > A 1st cousin twice removed, Corporal David Simpkins No 310 died at
      > Dinapore on 12 April 1913 of syncope, age 24 years 11 months
      [actually
      > 25 years 10 days, also I understand that syncope is fainting].
      >
      > The informants on 15 April 1913 at Dinapore were Cr Sgt J Gilmour &
      > Capt J C Scott, Adjutant.
      >
      > Can I assume that being in the 1st that David was a regular?

      In 1913 all soldiers in 1st (and 2nd) battalions would have been
      regulars. Territorials/ volunteers / militia did serve overseas in
      the Boer War, but as far as I know this would not have happened in
      peacetime.

      > There doesn't seem to be much available at the National Archives for
      > someone like David who wasn't in WWI and wasn't discharged & the
      > regimental web sites don't have anything about the
      locations/movements
      > of the 1st in the past that I can see.

      I'm not very up on th Argylls, but ther should be a regimental
      history which at would give the battalion's movements

      > He appears in the 1891 census in Edinburgh as a 3 year old in the
      > family home but although his mother & 2 younger siblings are in the
      > 1901 census there is no sign of him in Scotland or England. Might he
      > have already enlisted?

      The censuses themselves are not 100% reliable, and if you have been
      working as I usually do from a transcription, errors also creep in at
      that stage.

      Having said that, I think he could have enrolled as a band boy. Does
      any one know what the minimum age was?

      > Any suggestions or information please?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > David