3558RE: [scottish_military] Military Pipe Banners

  • Xavier Allen
    Aug 26, 2008
      They are swallow-tailed.

      To: scottish_military@yahoogroups.com
      From: dped@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:26:12 +0000
      Subject: RE: [scottish_military] Military Pipe Banners

      Dear Mr Allen,
      Thank you for your detailed reply which has improved mu knowledge bu 100% One question if I may, Are your Regiments banners square/rectangular or swallow tailed?
      Thanks again,
      Don Pedler
      PS, Piper myself.

      To: scottish_military@ yahoogroups. com
      From: regimental1@ hotmail.com
      Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:00:11 -0400

      In answer to this question, I can tell you what the Toronto Scottish Regiment does. We have pipe banners that are only carried when the Regimental Colours are on parade.

      The Pipe Major carries the Regimental Pipe Banner which is emblazoned on one side with the Regimental cap badge surrounded by the battle honours and the Union Flag on the reverse.

      The Pipe Sergeant carries the London Scottish Regiment's (our sister regiment) cap badge banner which is emblazoned with the Toronto Scottish cap badge on the reverse. Each piper carries a Commanding Officer's pipe banner which has been presented to the regiment upon a CO's retirement.

      The serving CO does not have his own banner because he is the custodian of the regimental colours. Commanding Officer banners have the personal coat of arms of the CO on one side and the Regimental cap badge on the reverse side.

      When not on parade, all pipe banners are hung in the Officers' Mess where the Regimenal Colours are also displayed flanking the CO's chair.

      The banners are made of silk with metal thread embroidery and metal thread fringes (usually gold). They tend to add a few pounds to the pipes.

      Xavier Allen
      Canadian Military Pipe Band member

      Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!

      in your area now! View photos of singles

      Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic