Re: [scots-origins] 1881 census loookups available

  • julie vandersluys
    Message 1 of 25 , May 31, 2000
      Dwelling: George St
      Census Place: Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203400 GRO Ref Volume 037 EnumDist 1 Page 13
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      William TAYLOR M 49 M Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Feuer & Gen Lab
      Elizabeth TAYLOR M 51 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Jane TAYLOR U 25 F Reay, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Occ: Dressmaker
      John T. TAYLOR U 23 M Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Mason
      William TAYLOR U 19 M Bower, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Appren Joiner
      Hugh TAYLOR U 17 M Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      Mary E. TAYLOR 15 F Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Occ: Scholar
      Donald A. TAYLOR 11 M Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar

      Dwelling: Hayfield
      Census Place: Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203401 GRO Ref Volume 039 EnumDist 3 Page 1
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      Hugh TAYLOR M 45 M Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Farm Serv
      Elizabeth TAYLOR M 48 F Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Hugh TAYLOR U 14 M Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      Jane TAYLOR 12 F Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Occ: Scholar
      William TAYLOR 11 M Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      Barbara TAYLOR 9 F Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Occ: Scholar
      Mary TAYLOR 7 F Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Occ: Scholar
      George TAYLOR 4 M Olrig, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son

      Dwelling: Township Of Achingoul
      Census Place: Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203401 GRO Ref Volume 038 EnumDist 13 Page
      14
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      Benjamin TAYLOR M 45 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Crofter
      Johan TAYLOR M 34 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Benjamin TAYLOR 6 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      Margaret TAYLOR 3 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Daur
      Hugh TAYLOR 7 m M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Christina TAYLOR W 80 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
      Rel: Mother

      Message 2 of 25 , May 31, 2000
        TAYLOR, Hugh Head <1821> Birth: RoCr Rosemarkie
        Census: RoCr Resolis
        TAYLOR, Hugh Head <1822> Birth: Aber Fyvie
        Census: Aber Methlick
        TAYLOR, Hugh Bord <1833> Birth: Engl
        Census: Aber Aberdeen St Nicholas
        TAYLOR, Hugh Head <1836> Birth: Cait Olrig
        Census: Cait Olrig
        TAYLOR, Hugh Head <1836> Birth: Pert Killin
        Census: Pert Perth West Church
        TAYLOR, Hugh Head <1849> Birth: Stir Camelon
        Census: Stir Falkirk
        TAYLOR, Hugh Serv <1854> Birth: Aber Auchterless
        Census: Aber Fyvie
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1859> Birth: Pert Perth
        Census: Pert Scone
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1859> Birth: Stir Lauriston
        Census: Stir Falkirk
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1860> Birth: Orkn Holm
        Census: Orkn Holm
        TAYLOR, Hugh Neph <1860> Birth: Durh Dornoch
        Census: Suth Dornoch
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1861> Birth: Aber Aberdeen
        Census: Aber Aberdeen St Nicholas
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1864> Birth: Cait Halkirk
        Census: Cait Halkirk
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1866> Birth: Stir Camelon
        Census: Stir Denny
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1867> Birth: Cait Olrig
        Census: Cait Olrig
        TAYLOR, Hugh Robertson Neph <1867> Birth: Bute Millport
        Census: Bute Cumbrae
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1869> Birth: Aber Fyvie
        Census: Aber Fyvie
        TAYLOR, Hugh A. Son <1870> Birth: Clac Dollar
        Census: Clac Dollar
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1874> Birth: Mora Urquhart
        Census: Elgn Urquhart
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1877> Birth: Aber Aberd
        Census: Aber Aberdeen St Nicholas
        TAYLOR, Hugh James Burnett Son <1879> Birth: Aber New Machar
        Census: Nair Cawdor
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1880> Birth: Cait Latheron
        Census: Cait Latheron
        TAYLOR, Hugh Son <1880> Birth: Pert Crieff
        Census: Pert Crieff
        > I would very much appreciate an 1881 lookup for Taylors in Caithness:
        > Hugh 70; Mary (Fraser) Taylor 65-70 & offspring: Hugh Jr. 45; Peter 44;
        > Cathrine 42; Christian 38; George 36; Henry 34. If I have the right
        family
        > George likely won't appear - should have parted for Canada by 1871. By
        1901
        > Henry should be in Australia.
        >
        > All born (except possibly Mary Fraser) in Olrig/Dunnet Caithness. Any
        > lookups would be much appreciated.
        >
        > regards, Dana in West Vancouver

      • julie vandersluys
        Message 3 of 25 , May 31, 2000
          QUINTIN, Elizabeth Sis <1834> Birth: Argy Campbeltown
          Census: Argy Campbeltown
          QUINTIN, Donald Head <1844> Birth: Argy Southend
          Census: Argy Campbeltown
          QUINTIN, Janet Wife <1846> Birth: Argy Campbeltown
          Census: Argy Campbeltown
          QUINTIN, James Son Head <1852> Birth: Argy Campbeltown
          Census: Argy Campbeltown
          QUINTIN, Janet McEachran Dau <1880> Birth: Argy Campbeltown
          Census: Argy Campbeltown
          Message 4 of 25 , May 31, 2000
            Dwelling: Reids Land Longrow
            Census Place: Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Source: FHL Film 0203555 GRO Ref Volume 507 EnumDist 17 Page
            13
            Marr Age Sex Birthplace
            James QUINTIN U 29 M Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Rel: Son (Head)
            Occ: Joiner
            Elizabeth QUINTIN U 47 F Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Rel: Sister
            Occ: Housekeeper

            Dwelling: Reids Land Longrow
            Census Place: Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Source: FHL Film 0203555 GRO Ref Volume 507 EnumDist 17 Page
            13
            Marr Age Sex Birthplace
            Donald QUINTIN M 37 M Southend, Argyll, Scotland
            Rel: Head
            Occ: Tailor & Clothier
            Janet QUINTIN M 35 F Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Rel: Wife
            Janet McEachran QUINTIN U 1 F Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
            Rel: Daur

            Message 5 of 25 , May 31, 2000
              this is him!!

              Dwelling: 142 Waddell St
              Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
              Source: FHL Film 0203671 GRO Ref Volume 644-11 EnumDist 46
              Page 17
              Marr Age Sex Birthplace
              Joseph ST QUINTIN M 57 M England
              Rel: Head
              Occ: House Painter
              Mary ST QUINTIN M 52 F England
              Rel: Wife
              Mary ST QUINTIN U 22 F England
              Rel: Daur
              Occ: Power Loom Weaver
              Lilly ST QUINTIN U 20 F England
              Rel: Daur
              Occ: Power Loom Weaver
              Johanna ST QUINTIN U 16 F England
              Rel: Daur
              Occ: Roll Warper

              Message 6 of 25 , May 31, 2000
                and here is another one Dwelling: Cessnock Rd Laurel Bank
                Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
                Source: FHL Film 0203685 GRO Ref Volume 646-1 EnumDist 12 Page
                56
                Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                James KERR M 61 M Dunscare, Dumfries, Scotland
                Rel: Head
                Occ: Superintendant Of Works River Trust Clyde
                Janet KERR M 52 F Cathcart, Dumfries, Scotland
                Rel: Wife
                John M. KERR 16 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                Occ: Scholar
                Lillias J. KERR 14 F Pollockshaws, Renfrew, Scotland
                Rel: Daur
                Occ: Scholar
                James M. KERR 8 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                Occ: Scholar
                Elizabeth QUINTIN U 23 F West Calder, Lanark, Scotland
                Rel: Serv
                Occ: General Domestic Serv

              • WesnJean@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                  Hi Julie, If it is not too late could you please look up JAMES W. MASON born
                  in Arbroath Angus Scotland. Married Catherine Ritchie Nov. 26, 1852 in
                  Arbroath. I am looking for James's parents and if possible Catherine
                  Ritchie's (also born in Arborath) parents. Any and all help will be
                  gratefully appreciated. Jeannie
                • JAPAN324@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                    Thank you so much for the look up, however, I don't think this is the right
                    John and Mary Ann Young. They were ages 23 and 19 at the time of their
                    marriage in Dec. 1874 at Royal Bank Place, Paisley Road, Govan. He is listed
                    as a Joiner (I don't think that is a Window Glazier?) and she a domestic
                    servant. At some point they moved to 194 Paisley Road West, Glasgow where
                    they were living when my gmother was born in Mar 1894. I'm not sure if it is
                    the same Paisley Road or not. Was Govan part of Glasgow? Thanks for
                    trying, buy I thought you might be able to look up by street name.

                    Pat
                  • julie vandersluys
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                      MASON, James Head <1813> Scot Lanc
                      MASON, James Head <1814> Scot Durh
                      MASSON, James Head <1818> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James Head <1824> Scot York
                      MANSON, James Head <1825> Scot Lond
                      MASON, James Head <1828> Angu Forf
                      MANSON, James Head <1829> Scot York
                      MASON, James Lodg <1841> Scot Durh
                      MASON, James Head <1841> Scot York
                      MANSON, James Head <1842> Scot Surr
                      MASON, James Bord <1842> Angu Forf
                      MANSON, James Head <1845> Scot Nthu
                      MANSON, James Head <1847> Scot Warw
                      MASON, James Head <1847> Scot Durh
                      MASSON, James <1847> Scot Lana
                      MASON, James G. Head <1849> Scot Surr
                      MASSON, James Head <1849> Scot Esse
                      MANSON, James A. Head <1852> Scot Surr
                      MASON, James Head <1852> Scot Lond
                      MASON, James T. Bord <1853> Scot Lanc
                      MASSON, James <1854> Scot York
                      MASSON, Jas <1854> Scot Navy
                      MASSON, James B. Bord <1855> Scot Nham
                      MASON, James Head Lodg <1856> Scot York
                      MANSEN, James Bord <1858> Scot Lond
                      MASSON, James Head <1858> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James Sldr <1860> Angu Stir
                      MASSON, James B. Lodg <1860> Scot Kent
                      MASON, James Son <1862> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James Son <1865> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James Bord <1865> Angu Lana
                      MANSON, James Son <1866> Scot Leic
                      MASSON, James Son <1867> Angu Forf
                      MASSON, James Bord <1869> Angu Forf
                      MASSON, James F. Son <1869> Angu Forf
                      MASSON, James Neph <1870> Scot Surr
                      MANSON, James Son <1872> Scot Ches
                      MASON, Jas.B. Son <1873> Scot Hamp
                      MASON, James Son <1874> Angu Forf
                      MASSON, James Son <1874> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James F. Son <1876> Angu Forf
                      MASON (STEWART), James Adop Son <1877> Angu Pert
                      MASON, James Son <1878> Angu Forf
                      MASON, James Son <1878> Angu Forf
                      MANSON, James Son <1880> Scot Surr

                      Dwelling: 2 Jamieson ST
                      Census Place: St Vigeans, Forfar, Scotland
                      Source: FHL Film 0203475 GRO Ref Volume 272 EnumDist 27 Page
                      22
                      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                      Alexr. MASON M 27 M Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Head
                      Occ: Power Loom Weaver
                      Mary Ann MASON M 30 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Wife
                      Occ: Power Loom Weaver
                      James MASON 7 M Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Son
                      Occ: Scholar
                      Johnann MASON 5 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Daur
                      Occ: Scholar
                      Mary A. MASON 3 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Daur
                      Occ: Scholar

                      Dwelling: 6 Maule St
                      Census Place: St Vigeans, Forfar, Scotland
                      Source: FHL Film 0203475 GRO Ref Volume 272 EnumDist 26 Page
                      16
                      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                      Alexander MASON M 48 M Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Head
                      Occ: Power Loom Tenter At Factory
                      Betsy MASON M 47 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Wife
                      John MASON W 33 M Dundee, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Son
                      Occ: Power Loom Canvas Weaver
                      Betsy MASON 5 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Dau
                      Occ: Scholar
                      David MASON U 22 M Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Son
                      Occ: Boot Maker Journeyman
                      James MASON U 16 M Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Son
                      Occ: Boot Maker Journeyman
                      Gilbertina MASON U 14 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                      Rel: Dau
                      Occ: Spinner Mill Worker

                      thatz all

                      cheers Julie
                    • Iain Ramsay
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 4, 2000
                        Possible mother of Catherine and perhaps unmarried sisters?

                        No trace of a James married to a Catherine who were born in Arbroath in all
                        Scotland in 1881

                        Dwelling: 23 Howard St
                        Census Place: St Vigeans, Forfar, Scotland
                        Source: FHL Film 0203474 GRO Ref Volume 272 EnumDist 20 Page 8
                        Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                        Katie RITCHIE W 74 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                        Rel: Head
                        Occ: ((Housekeeper))
                        Maggie RITCHIE U 37 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                        Rel: Dau
                        Occ: Power Loom Weaver (Canvas)
                        Isabella RITCHIE U 32 F Arbroath, Forfar, Scotland
                        Rel: Dau
                        Occ: Winder Power Loom Factory Worker

                        Iain A Ramsay
                        innellan@...
                      • Iain Ramsay
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 20, 2000
                          Hi Pat,

                          You may have your details now. However I have been looking at my old
                          emails and supply the following info for your consideration.

                          Dwelling: 26 Cornwall Street
                          Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
                          Source: FHL Film 0203685 GRO Ref Volume 646-1 EnumDist 21 Page
                          7
                          Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                          John YOUNG M 31 M Linlithgow, Scotland
                          Rel: Head
                          Occ: Joiner Emplg 1 Man 1 Boy
                          Mary Ann YOUNG M 28 F Fortrose, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
                          Rel: Wife
                          Margaret YOUNG U 4 F Govan, Lanark, Scotland
                          Rel: Daur
                          Donald MC LEOD U 12 M Cromarty
                          Rel: Brother In Law
                          Occ: Scholar
                          James YOUNG U 32 M Linlithgow, Scotland
                          Rel: Boarder
                          Occ: Ironmongers Storeman

                          Regards,

                          Iain A Ramsay
                          innellan@...
                        • WesnJean@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 21, 2000
                            Hi Ian, I have my Grandfather's naturalization papers here before me. It
                            states that he filed for citizenship Oct. 22, 1884. He was born in Arbroath
                            Angus Scotland 30th day of September 1862 he was 22 years of age when he
                            filed for his citizenship papers. He arrived through New York (before Ellis
                            Island) June 15, 1867, and was a minor. Which meant that he must have
                            traveled with his parents: James W. Mason and Catherine Ritchie Mason. Along
                            with brothers and sisters. Where would I go from here? Thanks so much for
                            your kind look up and caring. Jeannie PS I have to send to LDS for the
                            marriage cert. for James W. Mason and Catherine Ritchie. That way I will have
                            both their parents names so I can go forward. Jeannie email address:
                            wesnjean@...
                          • Begg Family
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 4, 2000
                              Listing my Begg names for possible relatives out there.
                              MARTIN BEGG born about 1766 in Scotland married EUPHEMIA SPENCE
                              GEORGE BEGG born 27 July 1791 in Inveresk Scotland married EUPHEMIA
                              CUNNINGHAM brought their family to Australia
                              JOHN TAYLOR BEGG born 6 October 1827 married ROSELLA LOUISA KIMMINS in
                              Australia
                              GEORGE BEGG born 1862 married MARGARET JANE ROBSON in Australia
                              REGINALD MARTIN BEGG born 24 April 1895 married BEATRICE LINDSAY HAMILTON in
                              Maitland, Australia
                              GEORGE HAMILTON BEGG born 1 February 1924 married GWEN OLIVE SAMS in
                              Maitland, Australia

                              Any relatives or knowledge of these families would be very welcome.

                              Lynette Begg (on behalf of George Hamilton Begg)
                            • alechmitchell@btinternet.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 8, 2001
                                I happened upon this rather old request while browsing!

                                This Joseph St Quintin is my wife's gggfa. If you still have an
                                interest I have other information that may be helpful e.g. there was
                                another daughter (my wife's ggmo) who was already married at the time
                                of the 1881 census.

                                In return I would be very interested in any info from your end. I
                                lost all trace of him after 1891 apart from the family tale that he
                                emigrated to Canada in the 1890s.

                                --- In scots-origins@y..., "Carol and Al Wright" <cricket56@h...>