Re: Mathieson family

  • Carol Y Reese
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2000
      --- In scots-origins@egroups.com, maureen6@i... wrote:
      > My great grandfather was Philip Matheson or Mathieson who married
      > Margaret Ann Cameron in Glenlivat on 29th November 1900. He had two
      > sons Alexander and James.

      Maureen,

      There was a Matheson or Mathieson family at Sir Walter Scott's
      estate,
      Abbotsford, in the late 1700's and early 1800's. James Matheson,
      Born in Scotland, had a daughter, Charlotte Mathieson, who married
      Thomas Purdie, Sir Walter Scott's forester. Charlotte was a sister
      of
      Peter Matheson who also worked for Sir Walter Scott as a coachman.
      He
      started to work for Scott about the same time as Thomas Purdie. I am
      looking for more information on this family and Charlotte's marriage
      to Thomas Purdie. He is my ancestor and was married several times -
      Mary Scott, Charlotte Matheson, Margarate Legget. Charlotte may have
      been the mother of his daughter, Janet, who was married to George
      Fairbairn in 1825.

      Carol