Re[2]: [scots-origins] Blegbie

  • Andrew Paterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2000
      Hi again Jennie,

      I've had a look in the phone book and found Blegbie. The name there is G
      Lowrie and partners. If you want their number, please contact me off the
      e-group at andrew_d_paterson@...

      Once more, all thge best,

      Andrew Paterson

      RE: Re: [scots-origins] Blegbie

      Hi Jennie (in NZ)

      > I have been told Blegbie is south of Edinburgh (East Lothian in the
      > Humbie Parish) but would be interested if any of you know - does
      > Blegbie Estate still exist and are there any old buildings etc still on
      it?
      > We will be in Britain later this year but as time is limited wonder if it
      > is worth making a side trip to Blegbie!

      Blegbie is shown on the current Ordnance Survey map (sheet 66 - Edinburgh &
      Midlothian).
      It looks like a farm with a fair collection of buildings. It is about 2
      miles SE of Humbie village (about 13 or 14 miles SSE of Edinburgh). It
      stands below Blegbie Hill. This is by the East Lothian / Midlothian border,
      not far from the Berwickshire border. Most of that area is mixed crop and
      animal farming, leading up to sheep grazing on the hills. I have not been
      up the minor road to the farm, so I cannot prove that these are the
      original buildings. My suspicions are that most of the buildings there will
      be old - most Scottish farms are.

      If you intend to visit there, make sure you have access to a car. The bus
      service is sparse in that area.

      All the best,

      Andrew Paterson
      andrew_d_paterson@...