Re: [scots-origins] a query about relationship designations

  • John Fidler
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2000
      Hi David, Here's what I have always followed:
      A first cousin is s son or daughter of one's uncle or aunt. A first cousin,
      once removed, is the child of one's first cousin. A first cousin, twice
      removed, is the grandchild of one's first cousin. Children of first cousins
      are second cousins to each other, and children of second cousins are third
      cousins. The child of a second cousin is a person's second cousin once
      removed. Phew!
      It makes sense if you chart the families involved.
      P.S. My husband is a graduate of Strathclyde when it was RCST.
    • anne.burgess
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2000
        > person A has cousins (A's father's brother's children) who in turn
        > have children B,C and D ... what is the name of the relationship
        > between B,C+D and A?
        >
        > ... a friend suggested that B,C+D were second cousins to A ... ?
        No, they are first cousins once removed.

        > ... and that opens out the bigger question: is there a web page
        > somewhere that identifies and names all these various permutations
        > of relationships? :
        There are several - but unfortunately I have mislaid the address. It goes
        like this

        Siblings' children are first cousins to one another
        First cousins' children are second cousins to one another
        Second cousins' children are third cousins to one another

        and so on.

        The child of your cousin is your first cousin once removed
        The child of your second cousin is your second cousin once removed

        and so on

        The child of your first cousin once removed is your first cousin twice
        removed
        The child of your second cousin once removed is your second cousin twice
        removed

        and so on, and so forth.

        Hope this helps

        Anne
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2000
          Hi David

          Some time ago I downloaded a chart showing the relationships of individuals
          descended from a common ancestor. It shows the children of cousins to be
          first cousins once removed and the children of them to be second cousins.

          The chart came from Rootsweb and if I remember I got it from an area named
          Terms and Definitions.

          Hope this helps

          Ian A C Scott
        • Hilary Machan
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2000
            A is the first cousin once removed of B, C and D and vice versa. A's
            children and B, C and D are second cousins.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2000
              HI: In stead of using just A.B.C.D. I will use 1A. 2.A etc it will show
              that 1.A and 2A. are direct descendants/ancestors in this case parent and
              child 1A.& 3A. are grandparent/grandchild etc. each number also represents
              the generation from the first ancestor 1A.

              1.A is the oldest ancestor has a sibling 1B.
              2.A is the child of 1A. 2B. is the child of
              1B. and 1st. cousin to 2A. and nephew/niece to 1A.
              3A. is the grandchild to 1A. child of 2A. and grand nephew/niece to 1B.1st
              cousin once removed from 2B.
              4A. is the great grand child to 1A. grand child to 2A.. child to 3A. great
              grand nephew/niece of 1B. 1st cousin twice removed to 2B. I haven't shown a
              3B. but 3A. to 3B. would the same generation therefore they would second
              cousins.so 4A. to 3B would be second cousins once removed.

              in other words the "removed" thing means a generation removed.
              If your 1st cousin has a child it is your 1st cousin once removed because
              they are one generation away from you since you and your 1st cousin are on
              the same generation. Your child and your 1st cousin's child are second
              cousins because they are same generation

              Clear as mud!!!?
              keep reading it through and make up little graphs and it will finally make
              sesne.

              Cheers
              Ron