[scots-origins] Marriages

  • A J Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 1999
      Ron Ferguson wrote:
      >Marriages were commonly held only after successful birth of
      >1st child.

      Hi Ron and everyone
      Really???
      Please do elaborate -- this could explain a lot! :-)
      I'm serious ... not heard this before, and if it was the reality
      then it's highly relevant to ScotsOrigins searches and all our
      endeavours. How common was 'commonly' (and till when?),
      was this across all areas of Scotland and all walks of
      life, what was the status of the first child, and what was the
      tradition or thinking behind it? -- women had to prove
      themselves capable of bearing children?
      Sounds fascinating ... look forward to hearing more.
      Kind regards
      Amanda
      aj.ffrwd@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
        Hi Amanda

        I have also heard this one.

        Believe it was as you suggest - tht women had to prove themselves fertile as
        children were important economically.

        Regards

        Colin Thomson
      • Dave36054@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
          Fortunately it didn't happen with my forebears, as my great grandmother died
          during childbirth!! She and my grandfather had been married just a few
          months prior......a timely happening as it were.

          David Reid