[scots-origins] Re: Re Census.

  • Russell Ramsay
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2000
      1841, 7 June
      1851, 31 March
      1861, 8 April
      1871, 3 April
      1881, 3 April
      1891, 5 April
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Juel & Leo Powley <jueleo.powley@...>
      To: Scots origins Groups <scots-origins@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, February 01, 2094 8:39 PM
      Subject: [scots-origins] Re Census.

      > Could someone please tell me what time of the year the 1851 Census was
      > taken?
      > Are they taken the same time each census?
      > Juel.

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/scots-origins

    • Frank McGonigal
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2000
        Re 1851 census,taken March 30.
        And it's not the same time for every census.
        Frank McGonigal.
      • Andrew Paterson
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2000
          Juel,

          > Could someone please tell me what time of the year the 1851 Census was
          taken?
          > Are they taken the same time each census?

          1841 - 7th June
          1851 - 31st March
          1861 - 6th April
          1871 - 3rd April
          1881 - 4th April
          1891 - 6th April

          I believe 1901 census will become public information early in 2002 after
          the information has passed its 100 year privacy time.

          All the best,

          Andrew Paterson
        • Joseph & Kay Steen
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2000
            Juel - Census dates were as follows:

            Unfortunately, as yet I don't know when the 1891 was taken. Good luck
            with your research.

            Kay Steen
            Tamborine, Australia
            jksteen@...
          • Betz Wyllie
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2000
              There appears to be a discrepancy in dates. This list was taken from the
              LDS records. In several messages I noted the changes ( ) . Any
              explanation?
              Betz
              1821 - 28 May
              1831 - 30 May
              1841 - 7 June (June 6)
              1851 - 30 March (March 31)
              1861 - 7 April (April 8)
              1871 - 2 April (April 3)
              1881 - 3 April (April 4)
              1891 - 5 April
              1901 - 31 March
              1911 - 31 March
              1921 - 19 June
              1931 - 26 April

              Betz Wyllie
              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Frank McGonigal
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 4, 2000
                > Hi
                > Regarding ages 1841 census,these are the instructions given.
                >
                > Infants under 1 year state the number of months.
                > From 1 year to 15 state age at last birthday
                > For persons 15 years and up,write as follows instead of exact age.
                > 15 and 20 write 15
                > 20 " 25 " 20
                > 25 " 30 " 25
                > and so on to 75,nothing said about anyone older than that.Well I guess
                > there weren't too many that lived past 75.

                Frank McGonigal Ont. Canada
                bankie@...
                Researching,
                MCGONIGAL,Dundee,Glasgow-
                MCCOLL,Mull & East Kilbride
                DEWAR, CHALMERS, Lothians & East Kilbride.
                LAWSON,BAIRD,East Kilbride.
                NIVEN,Glasgow & Co.Derry.
                GORRY ,KEENAGHAN, Dundee & Co. Westmeath.
                MCGARVEY,QUINN, Co.Donegal
              • Allen Gauld
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 4, 2000
                  The English Public Records Office book "Making use of the Census" gives
                  the following dates but I am sure we use the same dates and the same
                  documents in Scotland;

                  1841 June 6
                  1851 March 30
                  1861 April 7
                  1871 April 2
                  1881 April 3
                  1891 April 5

                  The census is taken on the Sunday night, all the above dates are
                  Sundays, if you look at a copy of the original enumerators form of 1851
                  for example, the third column says
                  "Name and Surname of each Person who abode in the house on the Night of
                  the 30th March 1851"

                  However these are the dates when the forms are supposed to be filled in
                  by the literate, the enumerators then go round and collect the forms
                  from the Monday morning onwards and may have filled in the form for
                  those who could not read or write. Collecting the forms could have
                  taken a few days especially in the country. It may be that some dates
                  are collection dates rather than the official census date.
                  Incidentally it still works this way except we can post the form back,
                  and so one Sunday night in April 2001 we will all be filling in our
                  census forms and perhaps thinking of our ancestors who did the same,
                  hopefully we will get our ages correct!.

                  betz wyllie <mainsve-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/scots-origins/?start=5007
                  > There appears to be a discrepancy in dates. This list was taken from
                  the
                  > LDS records. In several messages I noted the changes ( ) . Any
                  > explanation?
                • Judy Schiavoni
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 5, 2000
                    Juel and Leo wrote:
                    "Did they do funny things with ages each census or only the 1841
                    census?"
                    What "funny things" did they do in 1841?
                    Judy

                  • Swedescot@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 8, 2000
                      Hello Judy:
                      Yes, they did do funny things to ages in the 1841 census. Enumerators were
                      told to round ages to the nearest "5" or "0". In other words, if a person
                      was 44, they would be listed as 45 and if they were 42, they would be listed
                      as 40.
                      There were exceptions however as I found that the enumerator (probably, the
                      schoolmaster) for Aucterhouse parish in Angus did what he obviously thought
                      was the right to do things and he listed the correct age. A century and a
                      half later, I am very grateful to him because it helped me determine which
                      Margaret Duncan (of two) was my real was my fourth great grandmother.
                      Fortunately, they changed the rule for the 1851 census and listed the correct
                      ages.

                      Jean
                      Kittery, Maine
                    • Juel & Leo Powley
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 29, 1957
                          A big thankyou to everyone who replied on census dates.
                          My next question is:- Did they do funny things with ages each census or
                          only the 1841 census? If they did could some kind person tell me what they
                          were?
                          Thankyou
                          Juel.