Isobel McANDREW

  • r_k_may
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
      I am trying to find the birth and death dates for my 2xgreat grandmother Isobella McANDREW who lived in the Rosemarkie, Fortrose and Avoch areas. She was born about 1785, married Donald ROSS in 1810, had four children before he died in 1821, and the last sign of her is in the 1861 census in the Village of Avoch. According to the census she was 75 years old.

      Any help would really be appreciated.
      Thank you.
      Ken May
      New Zealand
    • scots-origins-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
        Hi Ken

        Have you been able to look for her death certificate?

        Maggie Loughran

        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "r_k_may" <kenjeanmay@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to find the birth and death dates for my 2xgreat grandmother Isobella McANDREW who lived in the Rosemarkie, Fortrose and Avoch areas. She was born about 1785, married Donald ROSS in 1810, had four children before he died in 1821, and the last sign of her is in the 1861 census in the Village of Avoch. According to the census she was 75 years old.
        >
        > Any help would really be appreciated.
        > Thank you.
        > Ken May
        > New Zealand

      • Iain Scott
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
          Ken

          Found this on Scotlands People. You can buy credits to view this.

          http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

          birth
          Isabella McAndrew
          born - 6th March 1788
          father - Alexander mcAndrew
          mother - Isabella Calder
          parish - Ardclach
          city/county - Nairn
          GROS data - 130/00/1101/0173

          Still trying to find any mention of her death.

          Iain

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
            Ken

            Again from Scotlands People

            Mcandrew Isabella
            died - 1892
            age - 103
            district - Aberlour
            city/county - Banff
            GROS data - 145/00/0013

            Iain

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
              Many thanks for your replies Iain and Maggie. I do apologies for not including the fact that I do use ScotlandsPeople quite extensively and did so in my quest to find Isobella McAndrew. Her wedding date in 1810 is listed and she only appears in the 1861 census as living alone in Avoch. We do have very old letters written by the family that mention her and they all related to the Rosemarkie area, and in later life the Avoch Village where it seems she could have lived as a child. There is no mention of her after the 1870's.

              She did have children who stayed in the area and we also know she was supported financially from NZ by my great grand parents. Isobella married a weaver named Donald ROSS who was many years older than her and died ten years after they married leaving her to raise four young children. The Fortrose and surrounding area seems to be a stronghold for the ROSS and McKENZIE families who feature very strongly in my family history.

              Iain, the Isabella McAndrew you mention born 6 Mar 1788 to Alexander McAndrew and Isabella Calder is a possibility and My Isobella did have a son named Alexander. However that location is quite a distance from the Fortrose area and was never mentioned in any of the family letters.

              One other less possible entry I found was an Isobel McAndrew, born 2 Nov 1789 at Tain, Ross & Cromarty, to Hugh McAndrew and Ann Mitchell.

              Isobella's death notice would list her parents and that would really help in a positive Id.

              Again my thanks for your help and advice and I will certainly keep looking for her elusive death notice. We do know for a fact that she is buried with her husband in plot 426 at the Rosemarkie cemetery, but the inscription is so badly weathered the date is unreadable.

              Cheers
              Ken
            • scots-origins-owner@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
                Hi Ken

                Have you tried contacting the cemetery - as they should have full details for everyone buried in that grave - as well as a general register of people buried by date within the cemetery. Once you have a date you can then contact GROS Scotland to get them to do a proper search or you can contact the local registrar (where the death was registered) as the death registration could have got 'lost' during the indexing process & thus appear in the local but not national indexes.

                Maggie Loughran

                --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "r_k_may" <kenjeanmay@...> wrote:

                > Many thanks for your replies Iain and Maggie. I do apologies for not including the fact that I do use ScotlandsPeople quite extensively and did so in my quest to find Isobella McAndrew. Her wedding date in 1810 is listed and she only appears in the 1861 census as living alone in Avoch. We do have very old letters written by the family that mention her and they all related to the Rosemarkie area, and in later life the Avoch Village where it seems she could have lived as a child. There is no mention of her after the 1870's.
                >
                > She did have children who stayed in the area and we also know she was supported financially from NZ by my great grand parents. Isobella married a weaver named Donald ROSS who was many years older than her and died ten years after they married leaving her to raise four young children. The Fortrose and surrounding area seems to be a stronghold for the ROSS and McKENZIE families who feature very strongly in my family history.
                >
                > Iain, the Isabella McAndrew you mention born 6 Mar 1788 to Alexander McAndrew and Isabella Calder is a possibility and My Isobella did have a son named Alexander. However that location is quite a distance from the Fortrose area and was never mentioned in any of the family letters.
                >
                > One other less possible entry I found was an Isobel McAndrew, born 2 Nov 1789 at Tain, Ross & Cromarty, to Hugh McAndrew and Ann Mitchell.
                >
                > Isobella's death notice would list her parents and that would really help in a positive Id.
                >
                > Again my thanks for your help and advice and I will certainly keep looking for her elusive death notice. We do know for a fact that she is buried with her husband in plot 426 at the Rosemarkie cemetery, but the inscription is so badly weathered the date is unreadable.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Ken

              • r_k_may
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
                  Thank you Maggie

                  I have contacted the Rev Alan McKean at the Rosemarkie Parish Church and will hopefully receive a fruitful reply. If I receive a favorable reply I will post the info on this site so that others who are searching for Isobella McAndrew will be able to access the details.

                  Cheers
                  Ken May

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2013
                    Hi Ken

                    Please let us know whatever - would be interested to know either way.

                    Maggie Loughran

                    --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "r_k_may" <kenjeanmay@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Maggie
                    >
                    > I have contacted the Rev Alan McKean at the Rosemarkie Parish Church and will hopefully receive a fruitful reply. If I receive a favorable reply I will post the info on this site so that others who are searching for Isobella McAndrew will be able to access the details.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Ken May
                    >
                    > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, scots-origins-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Ken
                    > >
                    > > Have you tried contacting the cemetery - as they should have full details for everyone buried in that grave - as well as a general register of people buried by date within the cemetery. Once you have a date you can then contact GROS Scotland to get them to do a proper search or you can contact the local registrar (where the death was registered) as the death registration could have got 'lost' during the indexing process & thus appear in the local but not national indexes.
                    > >
                    > > Maggie Loughran

                  • kiwiken41
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Hi Maggie,

                      This is an update on my query lodged in July.

                      About a month ago now I emailed the Rev Alan McKean at the address specified for the Rosemarkie Parish Church. Unfortuanately I have NOT received any reply or acknowledgement to my request for the details of when my 3xg grandmother Isobel McAndrew died.

                      I am now at a bit of a loss as to where to look. Any options you or other listers may have would be greatly appreciated.

                      Many Thanks
                      Ken May

                      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, scots-origins-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Hi Ken
                      >
                      > Please let us know whatever - would be interested to know either way.
                      >
                      > Maggie Loughran
                      >

                      > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "r_k_may" <kenjeanmay@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Thank you Maggie
                      > >
                      > > I have contacted the Rev Alan McKean at the Rosemarkie Parish Church and will hopefully receive a fruitful reply. If I receive a favorable reply I will post the info on this site so that others who are searching for Isobella McAndrew will be able to access the details.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Ken May
                      > >
                      > > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, scots-origins-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Ken
                      > > >
                      > > > Have you tried contacting the cemetery - as they should have full details for everyone buried in that grave - as well as a general register of people buried by date within the cemetery. Once you have a date you can then contact GROS Scotland to get them to do a proper search or you can contact the local registrar (where the death was registered) as the death registration could have got 'lost' during the indexing process & thus appear in the local but not national indexes.
                      > > >
                      > > > Maggie Loughran

                    • anne640105
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2013
                        Hi Ken,

                        There is an Isabella Ross or McAndrew in Scotland's people, died 1859, Shore of Fortrose, widow of a weaver, daughter of Alexander McAndrew and Helen McKeddie, buried at Rosemarkie - is this the lady you're looking for?

                        Anne

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2013
                          On 6/09/2013 12:38 PM, kiwiken41 wrote:

                          > Hi Maggie,
                          >
                          > This is an update on my query lodged in July.
                          >
                          > About a month ago now I emailed the Rev Alan McKean at the address specified for the Rosemarkie Parish Church. Unfortuanately I have NOT received any reply or acknowledgement to my request for the details of when my 3xg grandmother Isobel McAndrew died.
                          >
                          > I am now at a bit of a loss as to where to look.

                          I find that a wee donation with a snailmailed enquiry
                          usually works well. Parish clerks are often overloaded
                          volunteers. The donation seems to compel them to make reply.

                          My own ancestry not in Rosemarkie, but in the same region
                          has no McAndrew persons it seems. Nice place.

                          Rosemarkie folk seem to have had spirited attitude to the
                          Petty community across the water. PETTY STEPPERS at one time
                          was a teasing jest.

                          Their local traditions for burial, surprised me.

                          In Petty, Inverness-shire the body would be conveyed by folk
                          "dancing" a curious celebratory gait. This met disapproval
                          from other communities, and the Petty residents were known
                          as "Petty Steppers".

                          Alistair
                        • kiwiken41
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 6, 2013
                            I quick thank you to Anne, Iain and Alistair for their replies. Anne seems to have solved the problem for me so that is terrific.

                            It is comforting to know there are like minded people out there who are willing to help others when the need arises.

                            Thanks again
                            Ken