Re: [scots-origins] Travel between Ireland and Scotland

  • Gordon Crooks
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2011
      Chezza: Since at that time all of Ireland and Scotland were part of the U.K. there would be no immigration type records. What I would be inclined to do is check and see what shipping companies existed for that period of time and then see if there are any existing passenger records (manifests): You might want to check the Linen Hall Library in Belfast and see what if anything they have on the subject as they have a great deal of maritime information. You also need to look at two ports of embarkation Londonderry and Belfast
      Finding ship records is tough, I personally have searched over 300 ships for my settlers from Antrim, N.I. to America in 1735 and never found what I was looking for. Some manifest merely said "passengers".

      Gordon Crooks

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2011
        On 30/05/2011 9:32 PM, chezza1984 wrote:
        > Hi, i was wondering whether there are any records available for travel between ireland and scotland.

        Very few indeed. The travel distance so very short, fisher
        boats and ferries required no "paper work". Visas and
        passports are a modern "inconvenience"

        Alistair
      • Mandy Fahey
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2011
          I had the same dilemma and was informed that no records were kept. Like you I had to guestimate the arival time in Scotland from Ireland with childrens dates and places of birth. Good luck.
          If some one on the site knows any different, I would also be interested to know.

          Hi, i was wondering whether there are any records available for travel between ireland and scotland.

          i'm trying to see whether i can find records of travel of my great great grandparents John Egen b:abt 1877 scotland & Mary Ann Egen nee Sweeney born abt: 1880 Ireland and there 2 children John b:abt 1899 & Nellie b:abt 1902/1903 moved from Ireland to Scotland around 1903 after Nellie's birth. They had another child in 1903 Lanark Scotland, so this is how i determined there travel year. John and Mary Ann were married in londonderry 1898, so it could be possible that they were in Londonderry before they moved.

          Thanks in advance

          Chezza

        • christina johnston
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
            As far as I know there were no records for travel between two ports within the
            United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland as people would not have been
            classed as emigrating to another country - they were just travelling within the
            UK.

            Christina
          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              There was/is so much movement of goods and people, both legal and illegal
              via wee fishing boats, ferries, sailing ships, etc. Even small yachts. On a
              calm day you can row the ten miles or so,. Remember your "Irish" records
              will be with other British records because while all the nations within the
              U.K. have different names, they, at the time you mention, all had a single
              parliament/administration in London. As did the whole of Ireland.
              Hope this helps a wee bit.
              Dave