Re: Drumsaighna Castle - Clyde Valley

  • stratherrick
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2011
      Thanks Lisa

      Around 2 years ago I had a few intersting replies about this castle.
      Most suggested it could have been Drumsynie Estates, Lochgoilhead, Argyll & Bute.

      An entry posted 21 May 2009 by Robert R Calder says that Black's Pictureque Tourist names the inhabitant of "Drumsynie Castle" as Livingstone Shipping Lines of the 1860s. This may align with a shipping magnate owning the place.

      I will keep a note of the unlisted property and castles you mention for when I visit Scotland.

      As this ancestor worked at the castle between the 1861 and 1871 censuses, it is probably going to be very difficult to find her. She was young and would not have owned property; so I don't expect to find her in any business/street directories.

      For anyone who is interested, there is a website with the History of Drumsagard Castle in Cambuslang:

      http://www.drumsagardvillage.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=26

      Thanks
      Dave
    • CaledonC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2011
        Written in Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer published in 1883 :

        Drumsagard or Drumsharg , an ancient Barony in Cambuslang Parish
        Lanarkshire . Comprising nearly two thirds of the Parish ot belonged successively to
        the Oliphants , Murrays , Douglasses and Hamiltons , and changed its name
        in the 17th century to Cambyuslang . Its staely castle , crowning a round
        flat - topped mound , 20 feet high , 1 and 3/4 miles ESE of Cambuslng church
        , has left scarcely a vestige .

        Interesting reference to Perthshire Jacobite families - the Oliphants of
        Gask and the Murrays .

        Col from Crieff