Re: Cameron Highlanders

  • William
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
      my father Thomas Muoio went to India with the Cameron Highlanders in 1930 at the age of 16. Does anyone know where he would have been stationed. I know they were stationed at some 'hill station' in the hot season.

      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Mancuso" <catherine@...> wrote:

      > Katy,
      > Where in India were the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders serving between 1922
      > and1930?
      >

      > The 1st Battalion was in India 1919-1925 stationed at Rawalpindi, and from
      > May to ct 1920 in the Kurram Valley. Nov 1922 moved to Calcutta. Nov 1925
      > moved to Maymyo, Burma, and 1928 to Rangoon, with detachments in the Andaman
      > Islands.
      >
      > No other Battalions were overseas from this Regiment during this period.
      >
      > Michael Rhodes.

    • Trena Heater
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 11, 2011
        From: William
        Subject: [scots-origins] Re: Cameron Highlanders

        my father Thomas Muoio went to India with the Cameron Highlanders in 1930 at
        the age of 16. Does anyone know where he would have been stationed. I know
        they were stationed at some 'hill station' in the hot season.
        ******snipped******

        William

        I see you are residing in the UK. Is it possible for you to get to Kew?
        With your father's reg'tal number, you should be able to obtain his military
        records without much trouble. I know here in Canada, which has similar
        QR&Rs on the subject, I can go to Ottawa to obtain my father's, proving my
        relationship to him as his military history is 'recent'. As my Mum is still
        alive, therefore next of kin, I cannot send for them by post.

        I have my Dad's 1939-1945 Navy records, as the RCN & RN sent them to the
        de-mobbed several months afterwards. The RCN sent mine to me in the UK &
        then RN sent my husband's to him after he came to Canada. I've always
        wondered why the R(C)AF & Army Reg'ts didn't follow suit.

        Toni
      • Nan Bailey
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 11, 2011
          Katy,

          It might be of help for you to join the India list as well. There are a lot
          of very klnowledgeable and helpful people on this list. It is a Roots Web
          list

          Nan Bailey

          On 8 April 2011 22:17, William <williemoir@...> wrote:

          > my father Thomas Muoio went to India with the Cameron Highlanders in 1930
          > at the age of 16. Does anyone know where he would have been stationed. I
          > know they were stationed at some 'hill station' in the hot season.
          >
          > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Mancuso" <catherine@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Katy,
          > > Where in India were the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders serving between
          > 1922
          > > and1930?
          > >

          > > The 1st Battalion was in India 1919-1925 stationed at Rawalpindi, and
          > from
          > > May to ct 1920 in the Kurram Valley. Nov 1922 moved to Calcutta. Nov 1925
          > > moved to Maymyo, Burma, and 1928 to Rangoon, with detachments in the
          > Andaman
          > > Islands.
          > >
          > > No other Battalions were overseas from this Regiment during this period.
          > >
          > > Michael Rhodes.

        • david_wilson60
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 13, 2011
          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
              In a message dated 4/13/2011 9:26:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              amheater@... writes:

              I have my Dad's 1939-1945 Navy records, as the RCN & RN sent them to the
              de-mobbed several months afterwards. The RCN sent mine to me in the UK &
              then RN sent my husband's to him after he came to Canada. I've always
              wondered why the R(C)AF & Army Reg'ts didn't follow suit.

              Toni

              There is no Royal in any of the Commonwealth army's. The Royal may be
              titled to a regiment within those nations Such as the 42nd Royal Highland
              Regiment (AKA The Black Watch) or the 42nd Royal Canadian Regiment..."The Black
              Watch" same for Australia etc.

              Hope that helps.
              Dave
              PS 39-45 in the North Atlantic.... now that ladies and gentlemen is a bad,
              bad,bad ass. (not enough bad's to them credit.) Having grown up with men
              and women like this all around me, and many who I served with I laugh out
              loud and make some comment when I see the princesses with their pants hanging
              down and walking like pigeons.

              I have seen these people as gentle as a wee lamb, helping a child or a
              puppy, I have seen Uncle Bouyan put up with the daily pain of his curled up
              body from being torpedoed 3 times, and so many other stories. Never a
              complaint. Now I see Her Majesties Government deny the pensions benefits to her
              loyal veterans in Canada and Australia.... while she spends a fortune cleaning
              carriages (the other one was clean) so Oor Willy can plank his arse in
              his mommy's seat. Oh well as the song said, "Bless em all" Sorry for the rant.
              Just mad they are trying to wait until the vets, like my mom and dad, aye
              both, all die off to save a few Bob. If we indeed did support our troops,
              every family of a person serving would have a free home, utilities, a decent
              wage, decent car, and every child would have the opportunity of an
              education funded by us.

            • ScotHeritage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
                The regiment is not the Cameron Highlanders it is "79th Regiment, The
                Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders" I say this only to help you in your research.
                The title Queens Own was presented to them by Queen Victoria,April 17 1873.

                These are the laddie's that beat the ::::: out of Rommel, the Italians and
                every other bugger from Egypt to Libya. "The Desert Rats." The HLI Highland
                Light Infantry. The ANZAC and Indians played a vital role also.

                Then it was off to India and Burma...In India they were part of the FIRST
                defeat of the Japanese Forces at the battle of Kohema ( Battle of the Tennis
                Court ) Sounds funny. Read about it and feel the pride, the pity and
                admiration. The epitaph at the Commonwealth Cemetery reads
                "When You Go Home,
                Tell Them Of Us And Say,
                For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

                They then fought their way to Mandalay the capital of Burma.

                How do I know this? From family bedtime stories as a wee boy and from our
                teachers and neighbours who had fought. Manys the day I got a skelt across
                the lugs for walking behind a Cameron yelling Kilty Kilty cauld bum hahaha
                But by God the world became still and silent, the shops emptied and the
                streets cleared when you heard the pies and looked up Academy St to see them
                marching to the station Cheers and cheers as they passed. The pipes beltingn
                out there March of the Cameron Men, The Old Black Bear, Scotland The Brave.
                On the platform the men were given a few minutes to say cheerio to family,
                young wives with babies in their arms, old mothers and fathers with a wee
                bag of fruit, (rationing was still on and an orange, a few grapes and a
                pear would cost a kings ransom. The older wives telling the younger wives, Ach
                Jessie he'll be back soon enough and probably weeeee some lovely silk.
                These were the days of Korea. Then the men boarded the train Big tough
                smiles, Dunna worry Jessie, oh and give the bairn (baby) a wee kiss from
                me...Nobody, especially wee boys like me everf dared to mention the sappy kisses
                and the tears in the eyes of the Camerons, or the I love you too's. BUT they
                were all there. Two blast of the horn, then chu chue chue as the smoke came
                out of the engine and the wheels spun a few spins, All the families had
                white hankies out to wave and all the lads were crammed through the few open
                windows waving and smiling. Then as they have for generations the pipes
                started off 'We're Nae Awa Tae Bide Awa". The band marched out to the Old
                Black Bear" or All the Blue Bonnets ower the Border or some such, and the
                platform was silent except for the sobs and it would remain that way until the
                last bit smoke from the engine was out of sight, then the older wifies and
                mothers would begin putting their arms around the young ones and walk therm
                from the station.

                In my time every wee boy in Inverness had one dream...l to grow up to be a
                Cameron Highlander and die in battle. Now we have only one regiment left.
                It's not the same and never will be. No offense to any other regiment, and
                in Scotland people my age will understand the importance of the home
                regiment, the clan.
                As they were told at the Highland Clearances :

                An rud a bhois na do bhroin, cha bhi e na do thiomhnadh
                That which you have wasted will not be there for future generations

                Be very proud of your dad, he was amongst the very best of the very best.

                Here is the address to trace ancestors at the Regimental Museum in
                Arsdaseeher/Ft. George Inverness.
                There are also sister regiments in Canada and Australia.

                Hope this helps a wee bit.
                Dave

                In a message dated 4/13/2011 9:26:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                aus.bailey@... writes:

                Katy,

                It might be of help for you to join the India list as well. There are a lot
                of very klnowledgeable and helpful people on this list. It is a Roots Web
                list

                Nan Bailey

              • Gordon Crooks
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
                  While I didn't see the original msg.I hold a copy of the Martyrs list and there are two Cameron's on it Marion Cameron along with one of my Dun's was shot in 1685 for singing the Psalms on the Moss Hags, near Daljig and refusing to burn their bibles. Richard Cameron was killed in battle July 20, 1680, at Ayrsmoss.

                  Gordon Crooks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
                    Hello David
                    I see your a member of the Wilson family.
                    My wifes Paternal line was from a Robert Wilson married to Eurek Wilson,
                    apparently origin's are from Norway.
                    Have you done a some searching for your Wilson lineage?
                     Cheers
                    Tom

                    ________________________________
                      Just found a website that looks promising, Families In British India Society. Their database is mostly open to all.

                      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Nan Bailey <aus.bailey@...> wrote:

                      > Katy,
                      >
                      > It might be of help for you to join the India list as well. There are a lot
                      > of very klnowledgeable and helpful people on this list. It is a Roots Web
                      > list
                      >
                      > Nan Bailey
                      >
                      > On 8 April 2011 22:17, William <williemoir@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > my father Thomas Muoio went to India with the Cameron Highlanders in 1930
                      > > at the age of 16. Does anyone know where he would have been stationed. I
                      > > know they were stationed at some 'hill station' in the hot season.
                      > >
                      > > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Mancuso" <catherine@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Katy,
                      > > > Where in India were the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders serving between
                      > > 1922
                      > > > and1930?
                      > > >

                      > > > The 1st Battalion was in India 1919-1925 stationed at Rawalpindi, and
                      > > from
                      > > > May to ct 1920 in the Kurram Valley. Nov 1922 moved to Calcutta. Nov 1925
                      > > > moved to Maymyo, Burma, and 1928 to Rangoon, with detachments in the
                      > > Andaman
                      > > > Islands.
                      > > >
                      > > > No other Battalions were overseas from this Regiment during this period.
                      > > >
                      > > > Michael Rhodes.

                    • Trena Heater
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 18, 2011
                        amheater@... writes:

                        > as the RCN & RN sent them to the
                        > wondered why the R(C)AF & Army Reg'ts didn't follow suit.

                        Toni

                        There is no Royal in any of the Commonwealth army's. The Royal may be
                        titled to a regiment within those nations Such as the 42nd Royal Highland
                        Regiment (AKA The Black Watch) or the 42nd Royal Canadian Regiment..."The
                        Black
                        Watch" same for Australia etc.

                        Hope that helps.
                        Dave
                        ******big snip******

                        Dave,

                        No it does not help. I shall tell you why. When my Dad was in the Navy,
                        it was the ROYAL Canadian Navy (1939-1945). When my Mum was in the Navy, it
                        was the ROYAL Navy (1942-1945). When my husband was in the Navy (incl. S/m)
                        it was the ROYAL Navy (1958-1970). When I was in the Navy it was the ROYAL
                        Canadian Navy (1965-1967).

                        Same goes for my uncle when he was in the ROYAL Canadian Air Force; ditto
                        my maternal grandfather & father-in-law .. ROYAL Air Force; Grand-uncle
                        ROYAL Canadian Regiment (full military service spanned 1911-1946). Then my
                        father WAS IN the ROYAL Canadian Armoured Service Corps from 1952-1971.
                        Between 1947& 1952 he was in the PPCLI-2; Korea, incl. Battle of Kapyong
                        When my brother-in-law joined up he attended ROYAL Military College in
                        Kingston Ontario, then served with ROYAL Canadian Signal Corps. To this
                        day, everyone (including MPs/Ottawa officials, news commentators) says RMC,
                        not MC.

                        I know the ROYAL is no longer used here in Canada, thanks largely to Quebec
                        separatists (now others have jumped on the bandwagon) who continue to chip
                        away day by day at MY heritage ... but when we were in the military it did
                        still have the official ROYAL designation. When my son joined the reg.
                        force in 1988, everyone including the officers, STILL referred to it as the
                        RCAF. Before that he'd been RCNVR & later in 1994 was re-mustered to RC
                        Sigs .. & yes they were still calling them RCNVR & RC Sigs. So OFFICIALLY
                        the Royal may be gone now, but a great many people do still use the word
                        ROYAL when referring to the current, including the Navy.

                        I've left a great many other family who served out of this message as they
                        are too numerous, but 99% of my family who served in the military signed on
                        to serve King or Queen & Country, AND EARNED THE RIGHT to keep their
                        heritage alive in Canada. Extremely few of those who have taken away all
                        signs of my heritage, and continue to do so, have earned any rights at all,
                        especially in defence of this or any other country.

                        The Grand-uncle mentioned above; he became a bit of a legend in the RCRs ~
                        John 'Jake' WYATT; both he and his brother James were at The Somme, Mons,
                        Arras, Passchendale, Ypes, to name but a few, AND they were both at Vimy
                        Ridge ... Uncle John I know was gassed 3 times & suffered the rest of his
                        life from mustard burns on his legs. Those two alone more than earned their
                        rights to keep their heritage for their descendants .. and to keep ROYAL in
                        use.

                        Toni
                      • ScotHeritage@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 9, 2011
                          In a message dated 5/9/2011 9:50:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,