Re: Wilson/Tunbridge in Bermuda

  • clark.annmarie@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 72 , Apr 5, 2011
      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Susan Mandersson <smandersson@...> wrote:

      > For anyone who has Bermuda/Scottish roots to trace, I have been sent
      > from Bermuda some information on my great-grandmother Elizabeth Wilson
      > and her husband John Tunbridge/Tumbridge. I actually have photographs
      > of her, as an old lady in a long black dress on the beach, and more in a
      > studio, that I'm going to send to the person in Bermuda for posting on a
      > website. Now I'm waiting to see if she can find out where Elizabeth
      > Wilson was born, if she was the one who sailed from Scotland and spoke
      > Gaelic, or if it was her mother.
      > It sounds as if John changed his occupation from time to time. They went
      > forth and multiplied.
      >
      > Tunbridge (spelled that way in index), John and Elizabeth had:
      > 1. Mary Elizabeth bap. Feb 9/1867, bn Nov 4/1866
      > 2. Sarah Ann bap 12 Sep 1875, bn Mar 1875, father labourer
      > 3. Janet bap 8 Oct 1876, bn 3 Oct 1876, father sailor, private
      > baptism
      > 4. Catherine Louise (father listed as George?? w/ wife Elizabeth
      > but I
      > think its the same family) bap 22 Apr 1878, bn 25 Nov 1877, father
      > labourer
      > 5. Albert Edward bap 18 Nov 1880, bn 3 Nov 1880, father shopkeeper
      > 6. James Osmund bap 28 May 1882, bn 29 Dec 1881, father planter
      > 7. Janet Elizabeth bap 19 mar 1884, bn 9 Oct 1883, father shopkeeper
      > 8. Beatrice bap 19 jun 1887, bn 10 Apr 1887, fahter sailmaker
      > 9. Victoria bap 9 Feb 1890, bn 5 Sep 1889 father sailmaker
      > 10. Margaret Alice bap 22 Oct 1892, bn 4 Sep 1892, fahter sailmaker
      >
      > John Tunbridge, of London, England, of the HMGB Albacore (single) married
      > Elizabeth Wilson spinster of Pembroke in Pembroke Church 2 Jun 1865.
      >
      > John Henry Tunbridge (single of Pembroke) married Rosalie Louise Churm
      > spinster of Pembroke in Pembroke Church 21 Aug 1895.
      >
      > Mary Tunbridge married John William Hayton 1 Nov 1888, he single and
      > Corporal Royal Engineers and living in Devonshire, Bermuda, she a
      > spinster
      > of Pembroke, married at Pembroke Church.
      >
      > Harriet Tunbridge, spinster of Pembroke, married Danile Carloss, single
      > of
      > Royal Engineers stationed at Devonshire, Bermuda 17 Nov 1898 in Pembroke
      > Church (moved to Victoria, B.C.)
      >
      > Catherine Tunbridge single of Pembroke, married George Edmund S Powell
      > bachelor of Pembroke in Somerset, Bermuda 27 Feb 1900
      >
      > Burials:
      > James William age 2y 16 mo 2 Jun 1873 Pembroke
      > Sarah Ann age 1 yr 4mo 10 Jul 1876 Pembroke
      > Janet 6 days 9 Oct 1876 Pembroke
      > John William 3 mo 15 Jul 1903, Pembroke
      > Mary Elizabeth 7yr 28 Sep 1903. Pembroke
      > John 67 yr 23 Nov 1909 Pembroke
      >
      > will of John Tumbridge written May 8 1908, proved Dec 14 1909 (W29:461)
      > farmer, Pembroke, died Nov 22 1909, wife Elizabeth, eldest son JoHn Henry
      >
      > Bermuda Index- John Tunbridge birth of a daughter Nov 4 1866 Pembroke
      >
      > Susan

      Hi Susan - my mother is Harriet Tumbridge - she is Albert's daughter which makes Elizabeth her grandmother and John her grandfather. (She was named after her Aunt Harriet who married Danile Carlos and moved to Canada). My mother is 90 years old and is sharp as a tack. Going through the information you have listed above, she says that although you have some of it correct, some of it is not. Let me know if you are still interested and we can share what information we have and perhaps put the entire puzzle together as we are missing some too.

      Annmarie
    • clark.annmarie@rocketmail.com
      Message 72 of 72 , Apr 5, 2011