William Cromartie

  • jasper_parham
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2011
      My maternal great, great, great grandfather William Cromartie is said to have served in the British Navy. He was born 1731 in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. By 1758 he owned land in Bladen County NC. He died in 1807 in Bladen County. His 1st child, a son was born 1765 in Bladen County NC. Where would I search for British Navy records for the period around 1740-1765?

      That first son, also named William Cromartie departed Bladen County around 1800, never to be seen or heard from again. One legend has him going to India to visit relatives. Another legend has him returning to Orkney. Where would I search for records of his arrival in India or Scotland? Or demise enroute?
    • Bill McCorquodale
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2011
        There is a Cromartie Funeral Home in Dunn, North Carolina(Harnett County). It has been there as long as I can remember. It might lead to a clue