Barnardo Home Children

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
      While searching the web for information on the Barnardo Home Children I ran into your site. I am trying to find out how to contact the Barnardo people to see if I can get information on my girlfriends family. Both of her father's parents were Barnardo Home Children. Her father died young so she knows little of his family but is starting to wonder about them.

      Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank You
      Shane
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        shanebelrose@... writes:

        While searching the web for information on the Barnardo Home Children I
        ran into your site. I am trying to find out how to contact the Barnardo
        people to see if I can get information on my girlfriends family. Both of her
        father's parents were Barnardo Home Children. Her father died young so she
        knows little of his family but is starting to wonder about them.

        Hi Shane

        Information regarding Barnardos Children can be difficult to come by as I
        found out last year. In my case the problem was compounded by the fact that
        The 1901 Census for England and Wales indicated that the person I was
        seeking was the grand daughter of my ancestor whereas she was a 'step grand
        daughter' as her mother was the illegitimate daughter of my the third wife of
        my great uncle. However, the trail did lead me to find that she was admitted
        to a Sheltering Home for Girls (Barnardos) in Shirley, Southampton. From
        that I found her listed as a Barnardos Child on the Shipping Manifest for
        the S S Corinthian sailing for Quebec on 12 June 1913 arriving in Canada on
        24 June 1913.

        Following on to that information being found I wrote seeking further
        information and received a reply from Barnardos confirming what I found with the
        added information that her brother had also been admitted to a Barnardos
        Home and subsequently emigrated by them to Canada

        They confirmed the names of their parents but advised that their father's
        whereabouts was unknown. They also stated that the name of their maternal
        'grandfather' was that of my great uncle (incorrect).

        The letter from Barnardos advised that the girl married in Canada and that
        the couple had one son and were living in Ontario but they could give no
        further information on her brother other than that he was last heard of in
        South Cayuga. Ontario in 1924.

        I have given no names in this response as the information given was
        provided on the basis it was not disclosed in full detail.

        The Barnardos Address was:-

        Barnardos
        Making Connections
        Records Counselling and Support Service
        Cottage 4, Tanners Lane
        Barkingside, Ilford
        Essex IG6 1QG

        The Archive and Administration Officer was Valerie Smith and her email
        address was _valerie.smith@..._
        (mailto:valerie.smith@...)

        You should also look at the following by searching Liverpool University
        Barnardos Archives:

        _Collection descriptions_ (index.html)

        _Search catalogues_ (../search/index.html)

        _Using the collections_ (../visiting/visits.html)

        _Reading room rules_ (../visiting/rules.html)

        _Reprographic services_ (../visiting/repro.html)

        _Exhibitions_ (../exhibs/index.html)

        _Highlights_ (../highlights/index.html)

        _University Library_ (http://www.liv.ac.uk/library/)

        SC&A site comments:

        Barnardos
        Access to records held by the University of Liverpool on behalf of
        Barnardos, NCH Action for Children (formerly National Children's Homes),
        Fairbridge and Family Service Units is restricted on grounds of confidentiality and
        by the provisions of the Data Protection Act. Prior permission to access
        records should be obtained from the organisations themselves.

        Archive
        The Barnardos archive material at the University of Liverpool comprises:
        * Papers of Dr Barnardo: sermon notes 1861-1905, correspondence
        1880-1905, publications written by Thomas Barnardo and others 1867-1996
        * Council papers: council minutes 1877-1980, legal documents,
        committee minutes 1906-1981, circulars
        * Child Care papers 1905-c1970: Chief of staff/General
        Superintendent/General Secretary papers plus papers of sections (eg. studio, medical
        officer, works department, social services and after care, special education
        etc.) in chronological order of foundation
        * Child Care papers post 1970 including children's records,
        after-care records and administrative records
        * Papers re Fundraising and Appeals
        * Finance papers 1867-1985
        * Press Cuttings
        * Ephemera
        * Papers of Organisations taken over by Barnardo's, including:
        Johnson and Curtis Charities, Liverpool Sheltering Homes, Macpherson Homes,
        Reformatory and Refuge Union, Children's Aid Society, St Matthew's Orphanage
        and Miss Sharman's Homes
        Finding aids and further information
        * A finding aid is available in the SC&A reading room
        * _Barnardos website_ (http://www.barnardos.org.uk)

        Social Welfare Archives
        Records deposited at the University of Liverpool by child-related
        voluntary organisations, community projects and organisations working with the
        homeless:

        * _English Secretariat of the International Year of Disabled Persons
        (1981)_
        (http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/ead/search/?operation=full&recid=gb141d383) (D.383)
        * _Food and Betterment Association_ (fba.html) (FBA)
        * _Liverpool Sheltering Homes_ (lsh.html) (D.715)
        * Liverpool University Settlement (D.7, D.345, D.456 and D.457)
        * _Maria Rye's Emigration Home for Destitute Little Girls _
        (mariarye.html) (D.630)
        * Victoria Settlement, Liverpool (D.45 and D.456)
        * Barnardos
        * NCH (from 2008 called Action for Children)
        * Fairbridge
        * Family Service Units (now called Family Action)
        Access: please note that access to records held by the University of
        Liverpool on behalf of Barnardos, NCH, Fairbridge and Family Service Units is
        restricted on grounds of confidentiality and by the provisions of the Data
        Protection Act.
        Family historians: please contact these organisations directly (see links
        on right).
        Academic researchers: please contact Special Collections & Archives.

      • David Burnett
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          You never indicated the location of the Bernardo Home ?

          I live in Canada and I know there was one in our Province of Manitoba.

          David Burnett
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
            In a message dated 05/11/2010 15:55:53 GMT Standard Time, dcb123@...
            writes:

            You never indicated the location of the Bernardo Home ?

            I live in Canada and I know there was one in our Province of Manitoba
            When I responded to the enquiry by Shane I gave all the information I was
            given in the letter from barnardos without disclosing the names of the
            individuals in whom I was interested. The letter did not give the name of any
            home but from my research I found the girl had married in St Catherines,
            Lincoln, Ontario. The last address Barnardos had for her brother was in South
            Cayuga. Ontario.

            Having done some further research I found that the girl's marriage produced
            two sons (at least) one of whom died shortly after birth but the other
            survived and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force reaching the rank of Flight
            Sergeant. In that capacity he served with 207 Squadron (RAF) during the
            second world war and unfortunately was killed over Germany in February 1945.
            The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Records show he is buried in
            Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Kleve, Northern Westfalen.

            While Barnardos gave me some limited information they omitted any details
            of the home they were sent to in Canada or if they were subsequently
            fostered out but what found regarding the marriage suggests they remained in
            Ontario
            I only found out that the girl and boy had gone to Canada (through
            Barnardos) as I was searching for their father of whom I have (so far) found no
            trace. While searching for him I found a Passenger List showing his daughter
            listed as a 'Barnardos Child' aboard a ship bound for Quebec. Thereafter any
            information I have found was more recent while using the new Beta site on
            Family Search and recently downloaded a copy of the Ontario Marriage record
            for the girl.

            In my responses I have given details of my sources in tracing these
            children and the subsequent steps I have taken in an attempt to complete the line
            (branch) of my tree but still have work to do.

            If you are aware of a Home in Manitoba and need to find information I
            suggest you contact the Home to see if they can assist you.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
              writes:

              You never indicated the location of the Bernardo Home ?

              I live in Canada and I know there was one in our Province of Manitoba.

              David Burnett

              I refer to my previous message regarding the above and have now gone over
              some of my previous research. This has reminded me of the following which
              comes from the shipping manifest entry for the girl going to Canada,

              A further search on the internet has revealed that ....she...sailed to
              Canada on the S.S. Corinthian on 12 Jun 1913 bound for Quebec arriving there on
              24 June 1913. Her destination was given as Peterborough where Barnardos
              had a home for girls. The manifest indicated that she was intended to work in
              farming. Her age was given as 12 and this would be a suitable match. The
              manifest bears the marking 'Barnardos Girls' and while browsing for
              information it came to notice that the Corinthian carried 135 Barnardos Girls on
              that crossing.

              I trust this information clarifies what I posted earlier.

            • ann@pardyline.com.au
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
                Shane

                I have had some good luck with Barnardo information mostly for my mother-in-law. We were lucky in that I could narrow down when some of the children came out to Aust, when & where the parents died, etc. Had to get mother-in-law to write letter giving me authority to research on her behalf and prove her connection but both Barnardo in UK & here Aust helped as far as their documentation and records went. Unless the child/ren kept in touch, their records stop after a while.

                Ann
                Central Coast NSW
                Aust