Re: [scots-origins] early scottish masons

  • Terry Delany
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2010
      Yes according to what I read the Scottish Mason's who had close ties to France exported their form of lodges to France before they took it to America and from what this Susan Grant wrote in her diary her father swore her to secrecy. Interestingly on another Scottish line, William LIndsay of Edinburgh was sent to London with his brother Alexander LIndsay to set up an office of the families export business and then came to Quebec City in the late 1700's. I found in the London Mason's library the original incorporation of the first Mason lodge in Quebec city with his name as secretary. I believe it was dated 1792. It also had all the other officers listed. I thought it interesting that he would have registered with London rather than in Scotland but perhaps it was because he had lived in LOndon prior to coming to Quebec city. Those incorporation records are what I am looking for John
      (Alexander) Grant as he obviously had become a Mason in Scotland.