Re:lost surname Millondice

  • Puggled
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
      Where did you get the name? My best guess is that it's a corruption of
      Allardice (aka Allardyce, Allerdyce etc.) and that if you are working with a
      transcribed name, the transcriber may have mis-read the handwriting. Some
      of the capitalised letters such as "A" can be quite "flowery" and might be
      misinterpreted.

      Good luck with your search

      Jim T

    • Bob Boss
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
        Have you yried at the ScotlandsPeole.com website? It has records back to the
        1500's. Try searching it using soundex 'ON'. That way it will find a simillar
        names that might be a different spelling. It does cost a little but really only
        a very few dollars.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
          In trying to reply to the great answer (and research) I seemed to have zapped it into oblivian. But I wanted to thank you for doing that research. IN the list of Millondice surnames you found does it give first names? Was their a Jeannette? I also think it is worth doing more research to see if this John is the correct one with parents Robert. Thank you so much. Terry Delany

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
            Hi Terry

            Are you sure it's Millondice???
            Not Allerdyce or some other surname that may have been difficult to read or mis-transcribed?

            Just my tuppensworth.

            David Innes

          • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
              Bob: I looked in Dr. Black's book it is NOT listed.

              Gordon Crooks

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                Great suggestion...I got the name of a genealogy chart that was done in the sixties with no references ....I've been able to check out 90 percent of the chart (with hundreds and hundreds of names on it) and it has been 98 percent accurate but this was one of the first names that went the furthest back and to Scotland (the names from Quebec I have been able to verify and the LIndsay name from London and Scotland I have verified...it is just the Melvin and 'Millondice' names that I am now trying to research. What about Melvin....how could it have been miss spelled? I really appreciate all the suggestions and help. Terry Delany

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Terry,
                  Have you considered the surname MILLON, with a poss. that Jeanette came from DYCE.
                  It could be a mistype....you said it was from an old Family Tree!!!
                  Just a thought.
                  Adele