Re: Correction... was John Martin/Jane Hutchinson (Hutchison)

  • camdleo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2010
      Thank you so much for your reply. I thought about responding to the note about Ireland and Scotland being separate countries, but always the nice girl (and wanting to believe that this was a helpful hint) ... Jeesh...Even Americans know that!

      Anyway, my "knowing" that JM/JH were Scottish Presbyterians from "near Belfast" fits with the Ulster Scots history. Poor dears. No wonder they abandoned "home" for what must have been a horrid sea crossing and uncertain future. Nobody loved them, apparently. At least they show up on a ship's passenger record. I've messed around a bit online with the names and it seems they're fairly common. Thinking that that could be more than coincidence, what is your advice on delving intothe records of people who remained in Ulster?
      Sorry about the delay in responding. I didn't pick it up till today. (If you're wondering why I'm so bad at this stuff it's because my mother died and left tons of genealogy materials in no certain order, and I will turn into a raging alcoholic before it's all sorted out).
      Cheers! CAM

    • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2010
        I might be able to help on this one I am a 8th generation Ulsterscots in America and have extensive contacts and know and belong to several good Ulster web sites which might be helpful. you might want to check my web site which has a great deal of information on it regarding the Ulsterscots. Go to www.greencastlemuseum.org and on the right scrool down to my name and click on Ulsterscots, that will open the indea showing what is there.

        Gordon Crooks