McCrosky - MacCrosky - McCroskey

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      Isn't there any mention at all of this surname having Scottish origin?
      Janet
    • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
        Janet: Yes I woukld say its Scottish, almost anything starting with Mc or Mac is of scotish origin. You need to have a look up done in either Dr. George Black's The Surnames of Scotland or Robert Matheson's Surnames & Christan names in Ireland. Mc or Mac is generally accepted to mean "son of". If you don't have access to either contact me off lije and I will do a look up, but it might take a while as I ambusy transferring over 150 books on Ireland, Scotland & England to DVD's and its chore.

        Gordon Crooks
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
          MacCroskie was a name found in Sennick in Kircudbright in the late 17th
          century .MacRostie is more common in a number of variants and found in
          Perthshire particularly Monzievaird Parish .

          Col in Crieff

        • thelady_dale
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
            OK Here is what I found that might help you,

            http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/mccloskey-family-crest.htm
            --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Janet" <mej6070@...> wrote:

            IT appears to be more of an Irish name here but good luck.
            C Wood

          • ScotHeritage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
              Janet love you would get a much better response if you included the names
              in your message and not just the subject line. Caution I am very dyslexic
              and do not have Gaelic spell check.

              OK there is some conflict about the translation of the name. I would of
              given some religious to the Gaelic croiss which means Christ which leaves a
              wide number of origins from a priest to a naughty person.

              The other is the Cron which could refer to the complexion so often seen in
              the Argyll area. at some points a little more than a 10 mile row to
              Ireland.

              The TV just said Lord Cardigan and 11th Hussars, must be Charge of the
              Light Brigade Cheerio
              Dave

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
                Janet wrote:

                > Isn't there any mention at all of this surname having Scottish origin?

                There IS a mention, in the book SURNAMES OF SCOTLAND page 481.

                Alan MacCroskie was a tenant in the parish of Sennick in
                1684. Long since extinct, I guess is now in the parish of
                Borgue abt 5kM SSW of Kirkcudbright. The original
                parish/vicarage was plundered by French pirates and may not
                have recovered.

                Alistair