The McCoshen name:

  • jmccoshca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      My name is John Adrian McCoshen. I was born in Port Arthur, Ontario, on May 27, 1941.
      My Great-great Grandfather immigrated from Prague to Canada in 1867. He was born in 1824 with the name John Miskusken. He settled in Pembroke, Ontario and developed a profitable farm. We beleive it was in Pembroke where he was given the name McCoshen, probably because his native name was hard to pronounce. At least that is the story I was told as a young boy. Although born in Port Arthur, it was not my home town. My mother simply delivered me there. Our home town was Schreiber, Ontario (about 90 miles east of Port Arthur). One of John Miskusken,s sons, Isaac, is listed with the last name McCushen. One of his son's, Duncan Egan, is listed with the name McCoshen. At the age of 54 he fought for the Canadian Army as an officer in the first world war. One of his 10 children was also named Duncan (a railroad engineer) who settled in Schreiber, Ontario. His son, Cleveland Lawrence McCoshen, was born in Schreiber, and was my father.

      Many details of our early family history are missing. However, I thought it might be interesting for those named McCoshen to see how easily names can fly. Any pertinent information would be most welcome.

      You're welcome to contact me.