James Banks Caddell - Scotland

  • Angie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2009
      Does anyone have a James Banks Caddell in their records? He was born around 1730's. Then came to North Carolina. I have looked every where but, cant find any info. If anyone can help I would appreciate it :)

      Thanks,

      Angie Caddell
    • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2010
        Angie: Do you know the name of the ship he arrived on and what was its port of embarkation, this could probably give you the general area of where he lived in Scotland as people tended to transit from the nearest port.

        Gordon Crooks
        Does anyone have a James Banks Caddell in their records? He was born around 1730's. Then came to North Carolina. I have looked every where but, cant find any info. If anyone can help I would appreciate it :)

        Thanks,

        Angie Caddell

      • Richard Bailey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2010
          I see Angie has an ancestor with the middle name of Banks. We have a William
          Banks Anderson and I was wondering how common is the name of Banks. Is it a
          family surname later used as a forename. I have not been able to find
          anything about our William Banks Anderson except his son Alan Alexander
          Anderson was born in India in 1910 and family tradition says William Banks
          Anderson was in the military, said to be the "Black Watch' . I have not been
          able to find Alan Andersons birth or baptisimal records in India either.

          Nan Bailey
          Aust

          2010/1/9 Gordon Crooks@... <gordoncrooks@...>

          > Angie: Do you know the name of the ship he arrived on and what was its port
          > of embarkation, this could probably give you the general area of where he
          > lived in Scotland as people tended to transit from the nearest port.
          >
          > Gordon Crooks

        • THOMAS FEARNS
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
            Hello Richard,

            Saw the postings relating to the Banks family and remembered that as part of my research into Fife families, a Margaret Banks had married Philip Scott, a merchant seaman, on 1st February, 1839 at St Monance, on the shores of the Firth of Forth in Fife.

            Philip was the son of David Scott, a Flax Dresser who married Agnes Smith on 23rd February, 1811 at St Monance in Fife.

            In 1881, Margaret Banks and her husband were living at Narrow Wynd, St Monance. Philip shown as aged 69 and Margaret 68. This would mean that Margaret was born around 1813 and thus gives you and Angie something to work on.

            As always,
            Best wishes to you and yours,

            Tom.