Re: Reviving the Scots site

  • angusaglass
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 13, 2009
      Hi, my mane is Angus and have an intrest in Beatties in Scotland

      My oldest relative was William Beattie who died Benholm 1853
      and his wife Isobel Kennedy who dies Brawliemuir, Benholm near Montrose in 185 May.

      My GGreatgrandmother Isabella Watt (married to Robert Beattie)
      died at 80 Baltic Street Montrose in 1945.

    • Liliardsedge@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2011

        --- In _scots-origins@scots-originsco_
        (mailto:scots-origins@yahoogroups.com) , Sharon Bias <cosmoswonderful@cos> wrote:

        > Mine our Keen, and Colson if there is anyone out there with these names.
        >
        > Gayle <gayleannherron@gay> wrote:
        > Hi, just was going over my emails for the first time in weeks and saw
        > these emails discussing the how domant the site has gotten and now that
        > some are trying to get it going again I will also include my names. If
        > anyone knows anything about them please do not hesitate to email me at
        > gayleannherron@ gayleannherron@<WBR>... or via this site. I
        > as time permits and if I see anything I might have that helps will send
        > it. Unfortunately, my information tends to all be rather recent (past
        > 100-150 years) as my lines tended to want to not be traced back then,
        > and now it is a challenge at best and hopeless typically. Most of my
        > help would be of the more recent Americanize stuff.
        >
        > Names: Colvin, Lemley, Anderson, Phillips (son's), Herron (spouse), and
        > McQueen (spouse).
        >
        > Thanks
        > Gayle
        >
        > kay cooper wrote:
        > >
        > > I will give my names too Beattie, Fairweather Wilkes all from the
        > > Montrose area.
        > >
        > > Dont talk to me about spam, it awful.
        > >
        > > Kay

        > Sharon Bias, M.A.

      • Trena Heater
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 10, 2011
          . >If anyone knows anything about them please do not hesitate to email me
          at
          > gayleannherron@ gayleannherron@<WBR>... or via this site.

          If everyone took discussions of their family research off-list, two things
          will happen.

          1) less traffic on list ... list becomes dormant

          2) others searching the list archives will not find any posts with all the
          details of
          your ancestors, nor from the people with whom you are trading info.

          People outwith Scotland should realise as well, some surnames are rather
          common
          within Scotland. For instance: ANDERSON ~ I have 3 separate ANDERSON
          lines
          in Scotland. 2 on my Mum's maternal side, 1 on her paternal. You have to
          tell us where
          in Scotland. My 2 ANDERSON lines are Shetland (I'm an Eagle Bairn via 1 of
          those
          lines), the paternal line is Banffshire, around Marnoch.

          Toni
        • Gordon Crooks
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 12, 2011
            Angus and others: I have a Beatty in my line in the 1840's, she came from a long line of Martha's, her mother was a Martha Beatty too. They came from Ahoghill, Glagorm Parish, Antrim, N. I. around 1737. and I believe in a group along with My Crooks, Mooreheads and Dunwoodies. The Beattys were also related to the Campbells and Gordon's here..

            Gordon Crooks
            Hi, my mane is Angus and have an intrest in Beatties in Scotland

            My oldest relative was William Beattie who died Benholm 1853
            and his wife Isobel Kennedy who dies Brawliemuir, Benholm near Montrose in
            185 May.

            My GGreatgrandmother Isabella Watt (married to Robert Beattie)
            died at 80 Baltic Street Montrose in 1945.

            --- In _scots-origins@scots-originsco_
            (mailto:scots-origins@yahoogroups.com) , Sharon Bias <cosmoswonderful@cos> wrote:

            > Mine our Keen, and Colson if there is anyone out there with these names.
            >
            > Gayle <gayleannherron@gay> wrote:
            > Hi, just was going over my emails for the first time in weeks and saw
            > these emails discussing the how domant the site has gotten and now that
            > some are trying to get it going again I will also include my names. If
            > anyone knows anything about them please do not hesitate to email me at
            > gayleannherron@ gayleannherron@<WBR>... or via this site. I
            > as time permits and if I see anything I might have that helps will send
            > it. Unfortunately, my information tends to all be rather recent (past
            > 100-150 years) as my lines tended to want to not be traced back then,
            > and now it is a challenge at best and hopeless typically. Most of my
            > help would be of the more recent Americanize stuff.
            >
            > Names: Colvin, Lemley, Anderson, Phillips (son's), Herron (spouse), and
            > McQueen (spouse).
            >
            > Thanks
            > Gayle
            >
            > kay cooper wrote:
            > >
            > > I will give my names too Beattie, Fairweather Wilkes all from the
            > > Montrose area.
            > >
            > > Dont talk to me about spam, it awful.
            > >
            > > Kay

            > Sharon Bias, M.A.

          • James A. McIntosh
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 12, 2011
              Greetings Gayle <gayleannherron@gay>

              I saw your email below about the different lines you are
              researching. I have done some research on the Herron (previously Herring)
              line and would like to share my research with you. One of my direct-line
              ancestors was Elizabeth Christy born in 1810 in the Missouri Territory,
              United States. Elizabeth married Henry Herring (Herron) on Christmas Day
              1828 in Rock Creek, Bartholomew, Indiana, United States. Henry was born in
              1805 in Bartholomew County.

              He and Elizabeth had one child Reuben "Robin" Herring (Herron) who
              was born on 14 January 1830 in Bartholomew County. Reuben married Jane S.
              Rogers on 17 Sep 1848 In Bartholomew County. Jane was born in Tennessee on
              26 Sep 1829. Reuben and Jane had three children 1) Elizabeth Herring
              (Herron) born on 1 Aug 1849 in Bartholomew County, 2) William Henry Herring
              (Herron) born on 20 Aug 1851 in Bartholomew, and 3) Isaac Herring (Herron)
              born in Bartholomew County on 29 Apr 1853.

              In your message below, you said, "I as time permits and if I see
              anything I might have that helps will send it." I have several other names,
              both Descendants and Ancestors of those I have identified in my post above.
              I would appreciate it if you could send me some of the Herron (Herring)
              names/lines you have in your database and I will be happy to compare them
              with the names in my records and let you know if there are any connections.

              You could direct your reply to this users group or you could email
              me directly at <mailto:jamerm@...> jamerm@....

              Your friend, Jim McIntosh

              Please have a great day with your best friend - our Lord and Savior Jesus
              Christ!

              Hi, my mane is Angus and have an intrest in Beatties in Scotland

              My oldest relative was William Beattie who died Benholm 1853
              and his wife Isobel Kennedy who dies Brawliemuir, Benholm near Montrose in
              185 May.

              My GGreatgrandmother Isabella Watt (married to Robert Beattie)
              died at 80 Baltic Street Montrose in 1945.

              --- In _scots-origins@scots-originsco_
              (mailto:scots-origins@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:scots-origins%40yahoogroups.com> ) , Sharon Bias

            • TBsMOM222@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 15, 2011
                Still looking for a Peter Lyle Campbell, born to a William Campbell, but
                that's all I have.
                Marianne Campbell Shannon

              • silkpuffin
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013

                  Many McQueen's came from the North East of Scotland, and settled in Edinburgh/Leith area, because of the sailing Port. McQueens were sailors, and can be found in Peterhead, Leith and Portsmouth.

                  --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  The MacQueen/McQueen/MacSween family are indeed from the Modloathian
                  area and are a sept of Clan Mackintosh and therefore also Clan
                  Chattan. This confederation held lands in and around Inverneshire and
                  Moray. I just revised a site that I set up several years ago about
                  these families and there are several mentions of the MacQueens in the
                  text. You can also find info on the Clan Chattan page of the site.
                  This site should be helpful to anyone searching for the following
                  names.

                  MacKintosh, MacPhearson, Davidson, MacGillivray, MacThomas,
                  MacCombie, Farquharson, MacQueen, Shaw, MacBean, MacIntyre, MacPhail,
                  MacLean and all the associated septs.

                  The information begins in the 1150's and continues, at least for the
                  Mackintosh/Chattan connection, through the present.

                  CLAN MACQUEEN aka Clann Shuibhne or Clann Revan

                  The Macqueens of Clan Chattan are a small branch of an ancient Skye
                  Clan. They became members in the 15th century after the marriage of
                  Mora Macdonald of Moidart with Calum Beg Mackintosh, 10th of
                  Mackintosh.

                  Revan, also known as Roderic mac Milmor vic Swen, who was in the
                  wedding party, settled in Corrybrough in Strathdearn and the Clan
                  took his name. Macqueen of Pollochaig is reputed to have killed the
                  last wolf in Scotland in 1743.

                  Septs of MacQueen: MacCunn, MacSwan, MacSween, MacSwen, MacSwyde and
                  Swan.

                  to visit the site goto : a2fister2000.tripod.com