Re: [scots-origins] Re: Andrew Burt Shanks

  • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
      Morag: Since putting my original msg. on the board I have found out the Shank connection to my line it is: Samuel James Crunkleton married Mary Shank date of marriage not known, however he was born in 1812 and died in 1863 making him the 4th generation in the US Mary Shanks mother was Anna Rush Shank and she had to have been a Old Order River Brethren and thus one of the converted or born as a Presbyterian. I have yet to determine when the Shanks arrived here, I do know they wern't among the early arrivals which started in 1729, generally speaking the Germans were about 30 years behind the Ulsterscots in arrival here. I also know the Ulsterscots got tired of marrying their own in the mid to late 1700's and thus the inter-marriages with the Germans. This happened in three of my lines that I know of. I actually have a old photo taken of the Crunkleton family group and there is a women dressed as a Mennonite in the group.

      Gordon