Re: [scots-origins] is sturat britsh or scottish or irish

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2009
      scottlee777 wrote:

      > please let me know and where can I get family crest for Stuart

      Stuart is not one family but many, mostly unrelated I
      suppose, so there is not a <single> Crest.

      The CLAN does have a badge and a tartan, these can be used
      by anyone with that name. In Scotland, nearest thing to a
      crest is ARMS and those are legally awarded to individual
      folk who have limited license to pass those to very close kin.

      IF you decide to wear one of the Stuart tartans then do not
      select ROYAL STUART, that may be considered bad manners.

      There are rules about who may use the Royal tartans, and
      those of Clan Chiefs.

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR CAMERON
    • stewartlarrysr
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Alistair Cameron <acameron@...> wrote:

        > scottlee777 wrote:
        >
        > > please let me know and where can I get family crest for Stuart
        >
        > Stuart is not one family but many, mostly unrelated I
        > suppose, so there is not a <single> Crest.
        >
        > The CLAN does have a badge and a tartan, these can be used
        > by anyone with that name. In Scotland, nearest thing to a
        > crest is ARMS and those are legally awarded to individual
        > folk who have limited license to pass those to very close kin.
        >
        > IF you decide to wear one of the Stuart tartans then do not
        > select ROYAL STUART, that may be considered bad manners.
        >
        > There are rules about who may use the Royal tartans, and
        > those of Clan Chiefs.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > ALISTAIR CAMERON
        Who May wear a Royal Stewart tartan Larry James Stewart