Re: [scots-origins] Re: Passenger List?

  • Kaci Lusk
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24, 2009
      I'm sorry, I'm kinda lost. Are you suggesting that I go to a museum in
      Glasgow, Scotland? I'm new to searching for ships.

      Thanks and I apologise for my ignorance.

      Kaci

    • B J Magel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2009
        I always heed what this writer passes along to us ....

        All the doubts expressed re the shipping of records popped into my mind when I read the earlier msgs.

        I'm a mixture of Highland and Border Scots so I always find the Highlander vs the Border folks conflicts interesting. (with some English and Irish thrown into just to make a combative mix ... and a few more generations back a Swiss-German and a Dutch ancestor popped into the mix - those of us in Canada and the USA are really a crazy quilt of blood lines).

        But the costs of shipping seemed rather monumental vs wagons.

        Bev

        EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
        Join me

      • Rick Adam
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2009
          --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, B J Magel <b_magel@...> wrote:

> [...]

          > > > ships, I found a Ship called "Pearl of Glasgow" that sailed from
          > > Scotland
          > > > NC in 1772 but I have not been able to find the passenger list
          anywhere.
          > > > Does anyone have a resource for this?
          > > >
          > > > Thank you all so very much for all of your help so far!!
          > > >
          > > > Kaci
          > >

          > > My own research had found that 7 ships were involved in transferring
          the
          > > records to London,after the '45, and that they were sunk during a
          violent
          > > storm on the journey there.
          > >
          > > Resulting in the permanent loss of many records, I can't recall the
          exact
          > > date, but would expect it was fairly shortly after the'45, so you
          may find
          > > some shipping records from later dates, but many OPRs and other

          Here I quote from Rampant Scotland.

          December 18 1661
          Many Scottish historical records were lost when the ship Elizabeth of
          Burntisland sank off the English coast. The records had been taken to
          London by Oliver Cromwell and were being returned to Edinburgh.

          This is not the instance I was referring to, I mention it only as an
          example, of England being mainly a seafaring nation at this time.

          With hostile allies [Scotland and France] "The Auld Alliance" bordering
          on each side, the armies of "Butcher Cumberland" would be concerned
          with revenge for the '45 and the possibility of the French taking
          advantage of the situation.
          His forces from the south [if such a "waggon train" were involved
          transporting documents] being too far away to resist attack from France
          being mounted.

          "My own research had found that 7 ships [not necessarily ships of the
          line] were involved in transferring the records to London,after the '45,
          [ likely most of them being Scottish coastal traders, not warships,
          press-ganged into these efforts], and that they were all sunk during a
          violent storm on the journey there."

          The Aberdeen Maritime Museum has a display of many ships sinking, in
          this manner, as do Spanish records, the Edinburgh Public Library would
          be a good place to start, when looking for records of this alleged
          event.

          Remember these was the prelude to efforts to systematically rob Scots
          of their heritage, their culture and their history as well as to
          exterminate the Highland Clans. Therefore, costs involved would largely
          be recovered by the further looting of Scotland.

          When I can relocate my sources, I will cite them properly!

          Sincerely,
          Rick A