Re: [scots-origins] Re: Anyone from Pollokshaws?

  • Trena
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 17, 2009
      From: Bill McCorquodale
      To: scots-origins@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [scots-origins] Re: Anyone from Pollokshaws?

      Great info on the Pollok Shaws. Never heard of this. Here is another. Have
      you ever heard of the Maharq family. The Grahams were banned and sent to
      Ireland. They slipped back into the country as, you guessed it, the Maharg
      family.
      ****snipped****

      Which GRAHAMs?

      Toni ~ Ontario
    • David
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2009
        Maharg - Graham

        Have heard this a few times. I dont know if its a myth thats been
        passed down or if theres any facts that can confirm it tho. Not a bad
        idea turning the name around tho lol.

        I did find this ...
        Surname: Maharg
        Recorded as Mac Harg, Maharg, McHarg, and others as shown below, this
        is a surname of Scottish origin. It is a developed form of the pre
        10th century Old Gaelic "MacGiolla Chairge", meaning the son of the
        follower or devotee of Cairge. This was a saint's name of great
        antiquity. Frequently, Gaelic family names are taken from the heads
        of tribes, revered elders, or some illustrious warrior, but in some
        instances, clan names indicated devotion to a particular saint or
        holy man. The Gaelic prefix "Mac" means "son of", and "giolla", also
        written as "gille", translates literally as "attendant, man-servant,
        follower", but is used here in the transferred sense of "devotee".
        There were two main branches of this family: the MacHargs of Shalloch
        in the parish of Kirkpatrick-Irongray in Kirkcudbright, and the
        MacHargs of Cardorkan in the parish of Minnigaff (Kirkcudbright). The
        latter group, despite their saintly origins, appear to have been of a
        turbulent nature; Finlay M'Quharg and others of the name
        were "charged with fire raising, and the burning of houses belonging
        to Steward of Fintillauch" in 1581, and in 1592 they took an active
        part in a Galloway feud. Further forms of the name include:
        M'Quharge, MacElharge, MacIlhargy, and MacIlhagga with Martin
        M'Quharg who was burgess of Kirkcudbright in 1597, and on June 29th
        1798, Isabella, daughter of Ebenezer and Barbara MacHarg, was
        christened in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. The first recorded
        spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Marion M'Quharge,
        which was dated 1493, in the "Scottish Antiquary", Edinburgh,
        Scotland, during the reign of King James 1V of Scotland, 1488 - 1513.
        Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal
        taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the
        centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop"
        often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

        David

        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McCorquodale" <wrmcq@...>

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2009
          --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, cb631@... wrote:

          > Hi David, does your WILSON family have any connection to the LOUGH
          family
          > from POLLOKSHAWS

          Hi cb...

          Im afraid I havent found any Loughs in my line.. yet.

          David
        • James
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010
            --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "slater_urie" <slater_urie@...> wrote:

            > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Alec Cameron <acameron@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Bruce Owen wrote:
            > > >
            > > > 1. I am intrigued that my gt grandparents were married in 1892
            > "according to
            > > > the Banns of the Original Secessionist Church" in "Trades Inn",
            > Pollock St.,
            > > > Sounds like a pub! hard to believe though.
            > >
            > > A common, and convenient place for a wedding. My Scots family had such
            > > weddings recorded, 1800s and 1900s. The sanctity of a wedding is
            > > manifest in the company, not in the building structure.
            > >
            > > > 4. I have an address of 33, Potterfield for my grandmothers birth.
            > Anyone
            > > > able to confirm that this is a street in Pollokshaws?
            > >
            > > Not now. You'd best look to the old maps. An estate (especially
            > suburban
            > > or rural) is sometimes named that way. My great- uncle Kenny Cameron
            > > lived at 1, Newmore. That was a croft comprising a stone cottage and
            > > cuppla acres. The site and the neighbours homes are still named thus.
            > >
            > > > "There is one town, however, which is said, par excellence, to be
            > > > productive of queer folk. This town, as everybody in the west of
            > Scotland
            > > > well knows is Pollokshaws, or the Shaws" Can anyone tell my why my
            > ancestors come from a town of "queer folk"
            > >
            > > The work of writers often says more about the writer, than about those
            > > written of. That writer may have been a posh educated guy who used
            > knife
            > > and fork, proper- like.
            > >
            > > > Bit of
            > > > a worry actually!!
            > >
            > > Yes, but some folk are related to writers! ;~)
            > >
            > > We choose our friends but we are stuck with our relations.
            > >

            > > ALISTAIR M. CAMERON, A.A.G.R.A. also known as ALEC
            > > acameron@ **My Ancestral File No. is TO4M-WJ**
            > >
            > my family have roots back to 1796 at potterfield. it was a mining
            > village that became haggs rd pollokshaws.

            potterfield was an old mining village which became haggs road my ancestors lived at 19 potterfield which became 103 haggs road. it was demolished about 1900. the nearest mine (coal) was lochinch which was in the pollok estate
          • James
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2010
              --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david.wilson22@...> wrote:

              > Taken from
              > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glasgow/pollokshaws.htm
              >
              > There is one town, however, which is said, par excellence, to be
              > productive of "queer folk." This town, as everybody in the West of
              > Scotland well knows, is Pollokshaws, or "the Shaws," as in common
              > parlance it is generally called. The 'queer folk' were the Flemish
              > people who came to live in Pollokshaws. They were called queer because
              > no one could understand them. It was not the original Pollokshaws
              > people who were 'queer' it was the 'queer folk' that came into
              > Pollokshaws to live."]
              >
              > Pollok Street ..
              > POLLOK STREET is named for the estate on which it stands. It is the
              > widest street in the City, and was originally designed to be continued
              > over the railway to Saint Andrew's Road, Pollokshields.

              Pollok street in pollokshaws is now called greenview street. originally it was called cow loan.
            • James
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2010
                --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Owen" <bsowen@...> wrote:

                > I have tracked my ancestry back to this town and to Thornliebank south of
                > Glasgow (Boyd and Moran). Is there anyone in the group from this town who
                > might be able to answer some questions about it?
                > 1. I am intrigued that my gt grandparents were married in 1892 "according to
                > the Banns of the Original Secessionist Church" in "Trades Inn", Pollock St.,
                > Sounds like a pub! hard to believe though. Does anyone what "Trades Inn" is
                > and did they carry out marriages there?
                > 2. Is there a local newspaper in circulation in this town today?
                > 3. Two of my ancestors were "printfield workers" here, and I understand that
                > there used to be a calico printing works in the town. Any info about this
                > would be appreciated. There is a 2 volume or more book called Villages of
                > Scotland with a history of Pollokshaws in it, but infuriatingly our National
                > Library database in New Zealand only has vol 1. Anyone who has this book
                > might be able to assist.
                > 4. I have an address of 33, Potterfield for my grandmothers birth. Anyone
                > able to confirm that this is a street in Pollokshaws?
                > 5. Hugh McDonalds essay "Rambles Around Glasgow" written last century has
                > the following surprising quote
                > "There is one town, however, which is said, par excellence, to be
                > productive of queer folk. This town, as everybody in the west of Scotland
                > well knows is Pollokshaws, or the Shaws"
                > Can anyone tell my why my ancestors come from a town of "queer folk" Bit of
                > a worry actually!!
                > Bruce Owen

                the calico print works was in thornliebank near pollokshaws and was owned by alexander crum. his library still stands in use today.
                the queer folk of the shaws was probably related to the hugenots from france (persecuted protestants). a lot of them moved here and were probably the original queer folk as shaws people didnt understand them
                Aileen Smart has a book called Villages of glasgow south of the clyde. its a good read.